Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird Tank Cycling? No ammonia

kroezen

Reaction score
Hello, I moved my axolotls into my 33 gallon aquarium (it has around 20 gallons of water in it) around a week ago. I've been checking for ammonia every day since then but never picked up any (the water in the test tube is always clear). I find this weird.
For over 2 weeks before I put the axolotls in, the tank had been running with its filter (a sponge filter) and every now and then I would dump the "red water" left in the container I defrosted my blood worms in, but never tested the tank. I added the "red water" at random, and it was only the run-off from a few cubes.
Today I tested for ammonia, and yet again it came up with nothing. So I tested for Nitrites and Nitrates and found that they were up. The nitrites were at 6 ppm and the nitrates were at 80 pmm.
Is it possible the tank has cycled that far already? I've never picked up any ammonia in the tank and when I previously tested for nitrites/nitrates it came up with next to none.

The Ph is at 7 in case that matters

Can anyone help out?

Bubilog

Reaction score
I think the nitrites and nitrates are too high, Did you do partial water change already?

kroezen

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I forgot to mention that I had taken them out of the tank after getting those readings. Right now the two of them are in plastic containers. I haven't done a water change yet (it was late when I got the readings) but I will definitely do one now!

EDIT:
I just did a 50% water change and the nitrates dropped to 40ppm, but the nitrites seem to still be the same; 3 ppm...
Should I change more water or wait for them to fall on their own?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!