Question: White Algae... (i think)

Hood

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hood
Hi :D
Im new to this forum, I signed up to get info on axolotls, had one years ago but am a bit rusty.
Havent got my axolotl yet, thought i should get his home perfect first :)

i setup up my tank with large river stones and a decent sized hollow bit of wood, i added afew Java ferns to make it nice.
Everything was going fine untill i went away fishing for a few days, i came back and i had what can only be described as white algae or mold every where, it was all over the ferns, wood and even the filter..

my question is.. What did i do wrong??
theres no fish at all in the tank,
the wood and stones were boiled before i put them in
I soaked the plants in potassium permanganate to kill anything nasty (and rinsed them very well)

ive emptied the tank and cleaned everything, im currently setting it back up using new water, ive decided not to use the wood again.
but im scared this algae/mould will come back the second i turn my back

I have had this happen. You didn't do anything wrong. I think it's "something about the water" in certain geographical areas. Don't panic. Just filter it out and siphon it out (i.e., partial water changes). If you start over, you may just get the same problem again. After it goes away and your tank is cycled, it won't come back again.

Thankyou,
ive replaced 75% of the water put everything back except the wood, there was huge amounts of algae growing inside the hollow part

ill be getting some dwarf sucker fish ( i read somewhere in the forum these are ok with axolotl's ) hopefully they will eat most of it if it comes back.

i know axolotls are pretty hardy, but will this type of algae effect them in any way?

Did you take a picture of the white growth?

Pictures are always better to help diagnose tank issues.

What brand of dechlorinator are you using? Does it contain aloe?

<3 >o_o< <3

Where did you read that dwarf sucker fish are OK? The issue with sucker fish (plecos) is that they will suck on the axolotl sometimes. It seems like the dwarf ones might do this too. If you add one, keep a close eye and be prepared to remove the fish if it misbehaves.

I doubt that this growth will affect the axolotls.

Sucker fish aren't really a good idea.. could damage the slime coat. If you do, keep a close eye on them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thanx everyone for the info

not sure where i read about the dwarf suckers, but it was claimed they were docile compared to other sucker fish.
Not willing to risk any damage to my axolotls, ill be sticking suckers in another tank.

my water conditioner is a generic brand.. gives no details except for dosage xD

My lotl tank is crystal clear now, PH neutral, low ammonia and no algae in sight.
sitting on a steady 17 Celsius... My male will be in his new home in about an hour, female will be here in 3-4 days
im very excited

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back