Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fishless Cycling

Krispen

Reaction score
I've cycled numerous tanks with fish in them without any problems, but am struggling with my 75 gallon axie tank. Through "circumstance" I ended up with 7 juvies all at once. I had a 40 gallon breeder that was almost completely cycled and them moved up to a 75 gallon. Kept all my substrates water and filter (added another filter as well). Well I keep getting stuck at unsafe nitrite levels and needing to change water frequently. Employee at LFS says this is prolonging my cycle. Finally I took everybody out in large Tupperware with clean water and hides, added heater cranked up and closed hood. Going to attempt to speed up cycle and finish fishless.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrites-2
Nitrate-3

I hear I need to "feed" tank with ammonia daily as it continues to cycle.

Any advice?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374444282.277736.jpg

Thanks

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using blackworms, by any chance? I have had problems with blackworms increasing nitrite in tanks, sometimes catastrophically.

You can "feed" the tank with fish food, rather than directly with ammonia.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Just back off on feeding a little. Don't do to many huge water changes. With juveniles in that big of tank it should come around pretty quick.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Can you get some of the 'tank starter' stuff with the required bacteria in it? I used the pearls available over here to speed up the initial cycling, and it took 3 weeks to get established.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would add all the waste water from your tupperware tubs back into the tank. No need for any additional ammonia sources!

Krispen

Reaction score
Hey guys- thanks for input- I'm adding waste from my guys and a little ammonia as well- today 0.0 ammonia prior to addition, 5.0 nitrites and 80 nitrates!!!! Going to do a 50% change tomorrow and continue to watch. I did also start a bio stability treatment- Stability by Seachem. On day 6 of 7 days of treatment. I hope the end is in sight. Do not feed blackworms- just bloodworms and earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!