Upgrading tank size, keeping cycle going?

jelly

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I am up grading my 2 axys tank so they have more room :) they are in a 50L (about 40 L of water I guess taking in account sand and rocks) To a 80/85 litre tank.
In future I was thinking of adding another axy, but he is growing up to size first. he is in his own 35L tank at the moment.

If I just add all the rocks, sand and filter from their current tank is it likely my cycle should just carry on?

No but it will cycle fairly quickly. Like within a week or two id imagine

If you put everything from your current tank into your new one and then just top up the water (Everything as in filter substrate ornaments plants etc and even the water if you desire although not so necessary) then yes your cycle will just continue on. You will lose some basteria thats on the surfaces of the tank but it won't be fatal for your cycle

See i dont 100% agree with that. If you were to do so with the same size tank, then yes however you are adding it to a larger tank. Your cycle will not crash, and you will not need to re-start but it wont just carry on. It will take about a week before you see. 0/0/~10-40 again. But you also wont see dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrite, but you probably will see little spikes.

And I dont 100% agree with you. If shes putting her current cycle into a new tank it will continue fine. The cycle Jelly has is established and is capable of dealing with the two axolotl she has. So the cycle will continue on just fine. Yes, it will grow to suit the tank but nothings changing except the home the cycle is in. Also, your contradicting yourself. You say no it wont continue on amd no it wont crash. Thats contradicting. I actually also read early today while researching fishless cycles that if you are about to have a situation such as the one Jelly is presenting then by just transfering you cycle to a new home you effectly instantly cycle the new tank. It would be different if she also added a new axolotl instantly but she only mentioned that may happen in future.

I also agree with Jess on this one. Ive done the same a few times when upgrading community aquariums. Ive never had a cycle crash when moving everyone from one tank to another. it is good to watch for spikes and crashes but barring any unforseen circumstances you shouldnt have an issue.

Try not to let anything dry out whilst your transferring it, as this will kill off any bacteria.
I dont think it will INSTANTLY cycled as your adding more water than before and the new tank surfaces dont have any bacterial on, but with the large amount of substrate, decorations and filter your transferring then i think it will only take a day or two providing the cycle still has an ammonia source :D

I managed an almost instant cycle in my 10gal. When I needed to move the tank for something I pulled out ALL the decorations (already cycled) and put them in my larger tank. The slate bottom was new but I also stuck the hides, plants, filter and air stone in my other cycled tank to keep the bacteria healthy. It turned out to be over a week before I could fix up the tank properly and when I filled it back up I used some water from the larger tank too (water change time for my babies!)

Two days later I was reading 0 on everything but nitrate which was at a nice safe level.

When I re-did my tank I removed all the furniture, kept the filter going, emptied the tank and refilled it, put everything back and the cycle appeared to be fine. That was with 90% fresh water.
The axolotls were more upset about spending a few hours in a bucket than water quality issues in their newly arranged tank!
So yes, if you keep some water and don't scrub the ornaments your cycle should continue - won't be perfect instantly, but should catch up fairly quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back