High nitrates, nothing's working. ACK! :(

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

So I noticed that my tank's nitrates were a little elevated when I put my axies back in their tank from the fridge the other week. I've been doing water changes, but slacked off when they were fridged.

Now, even with NUMEROUS smaller water changes since they've been back in the tank and 2 larger water changes over the last 2 days, and replacing my charcoal filter media as it was due to be replaced, the levels are still running at about 2-2.5, and Audrey's gill and tail veins are very pronounced...but it hasn't slowed her eating down.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I did research, but didn't find any answers other than what I've already done. :(

Thanks for the help and hope everyone had a great weekend! :D

Plant some plants... They gobble up nitrate.

What size is your tank and filter?
What are the rest of the parameters please?
Have you tested your tap water, what are the nitrate levels there?
Was the tank cycled before you put your axie in?

I think the best thing to do is to take your axie out of the tank and put it in a tub with cool dechlorinted water, perhaps with some tea in to calm the irritations. Leaving your axie in the tank before the water is stable is going to cause more problems.

Floating plants are great for sucking up nitrates, they shouldn't cause algae issues if the water is clean and stable.

I don't understand? I though nitrates are ok up to 40, lower the better, but not a problem at 2??

Yes nitrAtes are good you want between 10-40ppm for nitrates. It means you have a cycled tank. I mean if it gets higher then that then it could prove toxic.

Btw if you want to help prevent algae then buy lots of plants. Remember they compete for nutrients so id rather lots of plants then algae. I did have a algae problem till snails became a problem, i ended up emptying my tank and so far ive eliminated the snails and so far no more algae lmao. Im sure i didnt kill off all the snails, they will be back im sure

I am an IDIOT! It would help if I READ the color comparison chart for the test strips. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :mad:

It is my NITRITES that are high-ish, registering 2-2.5, my nitrates are about 10, so happy about that.

I intend to buy an actual chem test kit later this week, but only have the testing strips right now. And I know they aren't that great. The test strip is saying the nitrite levels are as caution levels, borderline stress levels.

I added a nitrifying bacteria 2 days ago to my 20 gallon long tank, and again today.

Sorry for the confusion and idiocy. :rolleyes:

High Nitrites are far worse than Nitrates.

I would remove the lotls to tubs with fresh dechlorinated water changed 100% to help them detox fast until you know for sure your tanks parameters are safe, you can add the waste from the tubs to the tank to keep up ammonia.

Please get proper test kit as the test strips cannot properly / accurately test for Nitrates & you'll be sure to find their levels much higher if using a liquid test.

Best to get your lotls safe n sound before they are badly affected by the toxins..

<3 >o_o< <3

NitrItes are more toxic than nitrAtes and also if your can see nitrItes then your tank isnt fully cycled.
Id remove your lottles (into fresh dechlorinated water) then continue to add ammonia to your cycling tank daily, until your cycle is completed :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back