Popped eye?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
As I was feeding my axie today I noticed her eye is popped out kinda and a dent around that area. She's showing no signs of being stressed, swimming and eating fine, temperature fine and water parameters fine. Has anyone seen this and can give me some advice please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 292
In the first picture the left eye seems to stick out more. This is a front on photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 345
Anyone? Please? I'm so worried I've heard ammonia makes the eyes pop but the level is good and it's only one eye! Please help me!!

What are the water parameters? I'm stumped...ive looked everywhere for you. If she seems fine then I wouldn't worry too much. Keep us posted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I dont see anything wrong with your axie. If your worried about water levels do some water changes.. Have you tested anything other then ammonia? Ph nitrite and nitrate? What do you use to test your water? What kind of dechlorinator do you use?

Is it still looking odd? When axolotl feed, sometimes their eyes do sort of pop out more. But they usually return to normal immediately.

What are the water parameters? I'm stumped...ive looked everywhere for you. If she seems fine then I wouldn't worry too much. Keep us posted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for looking, I have been looking at previous posts too but found nothing other than some kind of poisoning teamed with swelling of the head which she doesn't have. Confusing!
Water parameters ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20..

I dont see anything wrong with your axie. If your worried about water levels do some water changes.. Have you tested anything other then ammonia? Ph nitrite and nitrate? What do you use to test your water? What kind of dechlorinator do you use?
You can see her left eye kind if buldge? Ill post another photo at the bottom for you. I did a 25% water change, what do you recommend and how much/how often water changes? I use a brand called prime. It removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, detoxifies nitrite and nitrate and provides slime coat and smells like **** to be honest. That seems okay to use right?

Is it still looking odd? When axolotl feed, sometimes their eyes do sort of pop out more. But they usually return to normal immediately.

It's not as bad as the leaf photo anymore and I've seen it pop out for a bit and flicks back in when she tries and gulp it down but this one stayed for a long time I just checked on her this morning and its still little bit popped out but she seems fine, color is good, tail isn't hooked, gills are fluffy and look comfortable and she's just been lazily cruising here and there this morning. Do you think she popped it out permanently from last nights feeding?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 253
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back