Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update on newt that won't eat

goose

Reaction score
I posted a couple weeks ago about my little chinese fire belly newt who I could not get to eat. Sadly he still has not eaten in about a month since I got him, but he now acts like he wants food when I dangle it in front of him, he just will not grab it. Sometimes he opens his mouth for it but doesn't move or strike at it. He still stays on land all the time as well. What should I do?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the link to your previous thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-help/92301-cfbn-might-dying-please-help.html

I really can't think of any ideas that we didn't already give you. Keep trying. Live pinheads or fruit flies are probably the best possibility.

Do you know for sure he hasn't eaten? One suggestion was to leave live blackworms on the rock with him - so maybe he's eating when you aren't looking?

All you can do is keep trying.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One other suggestion would be to go outdoors and try to find some tiny bugs, like aphids or wee caterpillars. Put them in the tank.

goose

Reaction score
Good news! He finally ate two nights ago! I put him back in the main tank and while trying to feed him an earthworm a gnat got in the tank and landed on the rock in front of him. He ate that right away but still would not eat anything I actually offered. The next day I thought he disappeared, turns out he decided to go for a swim finally. Once in the water I got him to easily eat some blackworms and a small peice of earthworm. I also noticed that he seemed to be shedding. I have read that some newts decide to go on hunger strikes before shedding so maybe that was the problem? He's doing much better now though so I am relieved.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1