Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl floating

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
So I just got a new Axolotl today and first of all he won't eat earthworms, which is normal I'm guessing because none of my new pets eat the first day I get them. Probably because they're so overwhelmed by the new surroundings. Anyway, right now he's chillin' in a 2 and a half gallon because I'm waiting for the sand in his ten gallon to settle. I know a ten gallon is small but he's only 3 inches right now. Anyway, I have notice he will swim around at the bottom of the 2 gallon, stop, then just float all the way to the top of the water. He's not belly side up, and he swims down after sitting still at the top of the water, but he occasionally keeps on floating back up. Is this normal?

Possum63

Reaction score
Congrats on the new axy. Normally at least the first 24hrs they can be too stressed form the move to eat so I wouldn't worry try the worms again tomorrow :)

If he isn't struggling to get down then I wouldn't worry at this stage. Maybe just gas. My flatmate had an axy that was just floating but would occasionally go back down and then just float up - he seems to like it. Some axy are floaters that's just what they like.

mackinthebox

Reaction score
mine did the same for a while, he still does it every now and then
I wouldnt worry too much as long as is active and moving around
are you keeping the container in the fridge? whats the water temp?
Mine was a lot less "floaty" after I got my water temp down to 68F

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
He is a very active axolotl I think he just enjoyed floating up. Right now he'a exploring the bottom of his tank

layna

Reaction score
Have you tried some blood worms if he is only 3"? He might find them easier to eat :D
Sometimes axies just swallow too much air and it takes them a while to figure out that if they burp/pump then the air will go haha! Or he may just be constipated
Hope it gets fixed soon :p

Tea Addict

Reaction score
My female axie purposly swallows air to float, we've seen when she starts sinking she swims up to gulp air and then stays there while the other axies just chills at the bottom. I think she only floats when other ppl are around though because if im reading quitely not moving or making noise she goes back to the bottom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1