Juvenile Axolotl Feeding

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Logan
So I just got a juvenile Axolotl, he's only like 3 or 4 inches long but he was skinny when I got him. I fed him 2 sections of an earthworm today but I don't know if that's too much or too little. How much should I feed a juvy axy?

Mine are the same size, I haven't given them any earthworms yet, but I find they eat their fill and don't have problems if they overeat. I feed them about half a cube of frozen blood worms or brine shrimp a day and they're content. My WT is a huge fatty so I'm trying to plump up my leucistic, so they get the same amount separate so they can (hopefully) even out.

At his size you still cant technically overfeed them. When they cant fit anything else in there then they will stop eating. Once they get older they will start to regurgitate if you overfeed them. Its trial and error really but you know they are full when their belly is as wide as their heAd :)

Agreed, when the widest part of their tummy is the same size as their head, then they dont need any more food.
If their belly is thinner than their head, then they need more food.
Have you tried feeding bloodworm instead?

I think bloodworms are too small for my Axy.

Well no not really. I fed my juveniles at 4" probably 80% bloodworms and slowly introduced them to worms everyday. I still give all my axies a treat here and there when i have some because they all love bloodworms so much but now they are all 6"+ so it takes so many cubes to fill them! So its a rare treat now lol!

You can feed them bloodworms.. It may take around one cube to fill them but i would feed them in conjuction of like 1/3 of a earthworm too. Like feed them the worm, then add thr bloodworms and let them go at it. Come back an hour later and pick up what they didnt eat(most times there was nothing left) sometimes id add more if they still seemed to have room in their bellies but i didnt want to waste any so if their bellies were full i wouldnt bother

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back