Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nocturnal or light stressed

5th Day

Reaction score
As I am still building my axolotl's permanent home tank system I am spending a lot of time manually checking conditions, adjusting lights, feeding and cleaning up in his current 20L.

I have noticed each 'morning' when I turn on the day lighting for his tank he is much more active, ie. mid-tank, moving around, etc. After the lights are on he becomes much more lethargic, inactive, etc. because of this I have taken to feeding in the morning before lights-on as he is more likely to take notice and grab up all his bits when he is moving about.

20L 75% full - rimless top
Weekly 50% water changes
12" LED strip light approx 12" from the surface
several dark areas from caves, floating plexi pieces etc
17.6 C water, 7.6 ph, hard
One 30Gallon sponge filter, adjusted to a trickle for barely any water movement - water is very clear
No natural plants as I have them all stretching under full LED in another temp tank across the room.
Screened sand about 7mm thick substrate
Apple Snails and ghost shrimp tank mates - shrimp are segregated and the snails are way too large to be swallowed.

Huxley (wild type axie) is now almost 8 months old, very dark in color with very fine healthy seaming gill stalks. I have associated his color shades with stress I believe as during tank tank/water changes he goes pale for a day before resuming his schedule and returning dark.

Is this night/pre-dawn activity typical? I am aware they lack eyelids and need low light but I am not sure if full light with shadows and dark corners causes more stress than just downsizing my light and sticking with only low-light plants would make him happier.

layna

Reaction score
I believe axolotls are nocturnal animals, but they dont like bright lights/tank lights and dont need them either.
If it is a tank light, its best to have LOTS of floating plants to dim it down or just simply not turn it on/remove it :D
If its day light/Room light then just make sure you have hides and shaded areas for them to hide in when they are scared

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1