Sick axolotl

chromefox85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello talk about bad luck and all with this being my first post so ill be to the point..

kipper my axolotl hasn't eaten for 2 weeks i have given him salt baths and fridged him done partial water changes and it just seems to be getting worse.

it started with that white fluffy fungus on a leg ( resulted in him loosing his back foot) however it appears that is under control but he is also swimming around as if disorientated and keeps turning upside down, my major concern though is were coming to the end of week 2 with him not eating any ideas help etc would be greatly appreciated.

note i have been keeping watch on him tryin to the best of my ability to get him better.

Thankyou

also i have been using water treatments to remove the nitrates and ammonia as well as any possible chlorine

also i have been using water treatments to remove the nitrates and ammonia as well as any possible chlorine

What treatment have you been using?
Also what food have you tried offering?
Have you got a photo of him and the tank?

Also what's the water parameters in the tank (Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temperature)?

Sorry for all the questions but it might help everyone figure out how to help you.

Sad to say he wasn't recovering was getting to the middle of week 3 with no food and he was getting worse and starting to look smaller even though i got rid of the white fluffy fungal infection he was still swimming all over the place disorientated and kept turning upside down as well as refusing to eat, tried force feeding him but with no luck ( he would sit with the food in his mouth ). so me and my girlfriend both decided it would be best for kipper to no longer have to suffer and i followed the guide for clove oil on here .he now has a little spot in the garden with a flower ,it broke mine an my girlfriends heart . i'm not sure if i want to do this again i think they are amazing intelligent little creatures but this experience has put me off having one as a pet for a long time.

Am so sorry for your loss.

It sounds like you tried you utmost for Kipper and it didn't work but don't let it put you off owning another. I bet all long term axie owners will tell you of their losses and successes......as will any pet owner. I've had 4 cats, not one has lived into it's teens but I loved them all, did the best for them all and my current little man is 7.....every day's a school day and you learn something new.

I have 3 axies now, my first ever three. Within the first week I also had to contend with fungus....with the excellent advice on here I was lucky and mine made a full recovery.

Please don't throw the towel in. Give yourself time to grieve, then find another little bod' that you can shower just as much love and attention on. There's one out there with you name on it.

My thoughts remain with you.

"A dog's last will and testament":

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…
To a poor and lonely stray I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.
I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in m human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.
So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”
Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, andgive my place to him.
This is the only thing I can give…

So the best way to celebrate the pet you have lost is to share your love with another pet!
(And yes I cried the first time I read it too)

Crying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Having recently lost my beautiful 18yr old cat ...... crying too.

I feel deeply for anyone mourning a pet. The loss is like no other because each animal brings so many different memories and experiences, the times you nursed them, the times you found them lost or worried they'd gone missing, the fun times, the time you accidentally scared them with a new toy or found them curled up somewhere improbable and somewhat inconvenient...all different memories.

Even if it's not your own pet you can have some really strong emotions. Pepper was my mum's chinchilla but he kept her up at night so I took him and his brother on. After a few years his teeth went bad and there was nothing I could do. The vet rang me to say he would need to be put to sleep, and I hung up. I was crying and screaming about it for an hour - it wasn't fair, what did I do wrong, why were his teeth bad if I'd followed advice, I wish he wasn't in pain, I wish I didn't have to make the decision for him to die - and eventually it was all out. Two weeks later his brother Salt died from a broken heart.

Mourning your pet is personal, but the understanding of your pain is completely universal. May all our beloved pets have their place on the Rainbow Bridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back