Us amphibian ban in progress! All amphibians! Read here!

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Country
United States
BACKGROUND: The US Fish and Wildlife service are attempting what is basically a hostile takeover of our rights to continue to own our beloved animals. For now, its the reptile/amphibian owners in direct conflict of the bill they are trying to pass...but it wont be for very long.

Please PLEASE send a message/letter/email to the following. Do NOT let them arbitrarily add any animals they want to the Lacey act! (If you are unfamiliar with what is happening, they are trying to make it so they can add ANY ANIMAL(S) to the Lacey act without due process and scientific proof those animals are injurious. The Lacey act makes it so if you transport any of the listed animals over state lines, you are a FELON.)
---------------------
WHAT YOU CAN DO:

*BOYCOTT PETA, ANIMAL PLANET, AND H$U$
*Donate DIRECTLY to your local animal shelters...they do not benefit from, nor are connected to the "Humane" $ociety of the United $tates!

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY, TO THE SUBJECT LINE...OR YOUR ENTRY/EMAIL ETC WILL NOT COUNT!!

usark.org/action-alert/usfws-c…

USFWS Categorical Exclusion
In response to the USFWS proposal to allow a "Categorical Exclusion" from NEPA requirements. This rule would allow USFWS to add species as injurious (making importation, interstate commerce and interstate transportation illegal) without full due process afforded under the law.

How You Can Help (must be done on or before July 31, 2013):

It is most effective to do all 5, or at least the first 4 actions

1. You can use the USARK quick form HERE.

2. Copy and paste the subject line and sample letter below (or edit) and email to: prevent_invasives@fws.gov

3. Copy and paste this email on the USFWS contact page at: www.fws.gov/duspit/contactus.h…

4. Below is a link to contact your federal Representative. Simply click the link and enter your zip code. You will see your Representative's information (you may need to narrow search with your address). You will see a small envelope next to your Representative's picture that you can click to send an email (or you may visit the Representative's website provided). Simply copy and paste the subject title and sample letter below and send it. www.house.gov/representatives/…

5. You can mail a letter to:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 700
Arlington, VA 22203

Sample Letter

NOTE: The subject line of your email must read: Categorical Exclusion

Sample letter below:

I write today to oppose the Service's proposed categorical exclusion from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for proposed listing of species as injurious under the Lacey Act.

As a reptile hobbyist, I am overwhelmingly troubled over the impact that listing certain species of snakes and other species commonly held in the reptile trade in the United States will have on my pets, as well as the livelihoods and small businesses of others in the reptile segment of the pet industry. The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) and others have conducted extensive research and due diligence. They have provided economic impact data and sound science to USFWS to refute many of the findings and concerns raised in the initial proposals. These concerns included the possible violation of NEPA requirements.

Specifically, USFWS ignored important scientific findings that contradicted its pre-determined outcome. State fish and wildlife agencies, research institutions, conservationists, zoos, public educators and even other federal government scientists raised important conservation concerns. Although such concerns are at the heart of NEPA, these were unlawfully ignored.

I, therefore, object to the Service's last minute effort to remove the NEPA protections that are afforded to citizens under the law to prevent the implementation of an onerous rule that will impact the freedom of Americans to enjoy reptiles as pets and own reptile-related businesses while failing to address the potential negative environmental impacts of the rule.

I believe that the listing of these snakes, and any other species without due process, is unwarranted and infringes on our rights to engage in an activity that we enjoy and that poses no threat to the environment. The proposed exclusion from NEPA just adds insult to injury in denying American citizens the due process the law affords to challenge the impact of the proposed rule.

As a citizen of America, the land of the free, my freedom to own reptiles as pets has been under attack for several years. These attacks have caused great hardship to myself, my family, my friends who own reptile-related businesses and the economy of the United States. By allowing this rule, the FWS would have overreaching power to severely affect the pet reptile community further. I implore you to not allow this exclusion as it is only one more step toward destroying a $1.4 billion industry and my freedom to enjoy my beloved pet reptiles, along with nearly five million other families. A 60 day extension period for public comment should also be provided to allow all stakeholders the opportunity to voice their concerns with this circumventive rule proposal.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Please, do not view this and do nothing. EVERYONE who owns any kind of pets, or even if you just love other peoples pets...EVERYONE should be trying to stop this as hard as they can!

What exactly IS the Lacey act? And why so sudden?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Lacey Act

http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacey_Act_of_1900

They are trying to pass it quickly so there is minimal time for review. If reviewed properly they would see that the captive bred amphibian industry is not the cause for the decline of amphibians.

It's the destruction of their natural habitats and spread of disease. The diseases are being spread through the species in their natural living areas by species contact with each other and environmental transmission of the pathogens, not by the breeders.

Most politicians are unaware of what's even going on. If it sounds promising, they'll sign it. They lack the education of endangered species, the why, where, when and how to prevent it.

I've donated to several organizations to help these declining species. What I want to know is where is the assistance by those in office who could take the time, money, and effort to teach people how to provide natural habitats for local species? To donate to the species that are in decline? Where's the help in the rainforests? And why do they continue to allow habitat destruction despite the animals living in these forests? They should spend more time in coordinating efforts to science for cures, and to alliances for habitat resurrection and protection.

It's to my knowledge that they are not even cognizant of the overall scope of what is happening with these beautiful creatures. One group hops in and says lets put them on a list and they have no idea of the ramifications.

We take good care of our pets. If they are worried about us releasing invasive species and creating or transmitting disease, then perhaps they could create a No Invasive Species Release Law. That would be all they need to answer their current issue.

We, in the culture of amphibian keeping, are not the cause, nor are 99% of the breeders. It is the uneducated of the situation that are.

Last edited:
Another dilemma is, if it passes, the odds of reversing the act or changing it is nil. It takes a whole lot more to change things that it does to prevent them.....

Was this already passed in Senate/House? Was it proposed by the president? I doubt it'll get very far once the Supreme Court reads it and likely sees what a stupid thing it is, Obama might think it's dumb too and veto it.

Then again, the senators and reps aren't the only idiots in Washington....

That's Awesome! I once tried to donate my old pet Snapping Turtle 'Gamera' to a local zoo, but they wouldn't take him. Jerks. :p

Sorry wrong thread that last post. Sorry.

Protests and petitions are popping up all over the place for this. Where can I read the proposal you are urging us to comment about?

Any chance of a link to the wording of the act? The least you could do is allow people to check for themselves if you are going to call them to arms.

" The diseases are being spread through the species in their natural living areas by species contact with each other and environmental transmission of the pathogens, not by the breeders. "

Ah, where do you think the diseases spread out from in the first place? The pet market, both CB or WC, is the number one source of pathogen contamination. The spread of chytrid as well as others, is very clearly related to the commercialization of amphibians for the pet trade. The new focal points of pathogen spreading are being created by the same mechanism too. It is a lie to say that the pet market is not responsible when it is clearly the original source and it continues to be.

Sure, the main threat to most species is without a doubt, habitat destruction. However, some species or some of their populations who occupy protected habitats or largely undisturbed areas and who are therefore in no immediate danger of loosing their habitat are being severely affected by disease or the introduction of invasive species, both of which are phenomena caused by the pet market.

As far as i can tell, there are already "No Invasive Species Release Laws" which are in fact, "No Species Release Laws" since wether they are invasive or not, it is still a problem. They clearly aren´t sufficient, though, as most people either ignore their existence or simply don´t care and in many other cases, the animals simply scape rather than be released. Such laws do nothing against escapees.

I´m all in favor of keeping amphibians in captivity responsibly, obviously, but i do agree that there should be limits and that the "all goes" attitude that has permeated the pet market for so long is extremely destructive in many ways. That is not to say that i would necessarily support this act, but since i don´t know what it actually says, i have no idea if i agree with it or if i have a problem with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back