New Axolotl Owner to be :) Questions & Tips?

Aikeler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brooke
I've been doing a lot of research on Axies and what I need. I just need to know if you guys have any tips for me or if I'm possibly doing something wrong!
So far I have:

- a 20 Gallon tank for one Axie

- all silk plants because I know how sensitive their gills and fins are

- two rock hide aways

- a water chiller (because im in texas and it gets SUPER hot here! I plan to keep them at a comfortable 66 degrees)

- a sponge filter

- I'm currently doing the Dr. Tims Fishless Cycling. And to be honest I have no clue what I'm doing the instructions confuse me... But I've got a ammonia and PH measuring thing inside my aquarium to keep track

- Proper PH 7.0

- water conditioner (i've already put some in my tank while cycling

- fine sand substrate

- hikari carnivore sinking pellets (& I also plan to get some frozen bloodworms for my axie)

Do any experienced Axie owners have any tips for me or anything else I might need to know or prepare for before I get my Axie?

~Thanks

Wow you're doing great! Good job! I suggest a turkey baster, its good for getting rid of poop when you see it so your tank doesn't get murky too fast:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh, I also just purchased an aqueon water changer:) I haven't received it yet, but I'm really excited because water changes in my 20 gal tank is a huge hassel with pitchers of water. Its a hose with a siphon that can drain and fill a tank. At Petco they're like 60 bucks and online on amazon aqueon (which is a great brand) sells a 25 foot with all the pieces for 23 bucks:)

Yes I forgot to mention that! I got one :)

A turkey baster or a drain and film thing?

So long as you have a liquid test kit too you should be set :) I have no idea what those measuring things are you mentioned...

I meant the turkey baster :)

and yea I meant the liquid test kit :p

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Great work with all your research - you are doing really well! Just a couple things I would add. Firstly a liquid test kit that tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. You'll need it for cycling and general testing to ensure healthy water. And the other thing is 7pH is fine but I believe the perfect pH is 7.5 (between 7.4 and 7.6).

As for cycling, you can tell your tank is fully cycled when ammonia and nitrite is at 0 and you have a nitrate reading. As long as your putting ammonia in your tank to feed the bacteria that create the cycle you will get there eventually :)

Any questions don't be afraid to ask and when you get your lotl be sure to post pics and show us all :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back