Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange critters in tank !!!

Stacey87

Reaction score
I was admiring my axies this morning :) when i noticed some rather strange larvae floating in the tank!! but on closer inspection (after using a turkey baster and removing some into a cup) i think they are mosquito larvae !!
i did go into panic mode slightly and done a total water change, thankfully i was nearly ready for a clean anyway so had the water ready in buckets, i have also scrubbed everything in the tank and discarded all the live plants as i know the eggs can stick to plants, and i have have thoroughly cleaned my sponge filter.
i have put fresh plants in and set my tank back up.

however i just need to know if i have missed any eggs and they hatch again, are they any risk to my axies?

i will upload a pic of the critters just incase they are not what i thought they are and are something else.

any info would be great thanx.

Attachments

• WP_20130727_001.jpg
    WP_20130727_001.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 291

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yup, they look like mosquito larvae to me. Shouldn't be a prblem, they won't harm your axies - axies may well eat them. Or you could add a couple of minnows and see if they can eat all the critters before the axies eat them!

bichogrilo

Reaction score
Mosquito larvae were my baby axolotl's main food for a large part of there development. The mozzie larvae eat algae and the axolotl eat the mozzies. Breed mozzies in another tank and you have a good free food source. To breed mozzies i put a teaspoon of yeast into a water container in an area where they are likely to be and wait for them to appear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1