Major excitement! Some of my babies are going to the Zoo!!!

tigmades

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Ashley
Hi guys,

I'm super excited! Someone who works at the Assiniboine Zoo got in contact me through my axolotl kijiji ad with an intense interest in bringing them to the zoo. In April I had contacted someone at the zoo offering to donate a pair, but I guess it didn't get passed on to the right people because this person is an Aquarist Zoo Keeper and never heard of my offer and he's been looking around for a year or so. Anyways, he has received verbal permission to convert the Mexican cave fish tank to an axolotl tank, so we're just waiting for the paperwork to be completed and the tank to be prepared for them..... and the tank is 375 GALLONS!!!! He agreed that it would be a species-only tank, so I will probably be donating a lot more than a pair, just because I know they could live a better life, and my biggest (custom) tank is only about 50 gallons. They get their own personal vet and everything! They are perfect for educating kids and adults alike on species preservation (who doesn't love "mudkip"??) and humans have made some really important medical discoveries through them.

Anyways, I was excited and wanted to share
icon_smile.gif
I have no idea how soon they'll be at the zoo (a week? a month?), but I can't wait to see my babies at our zoo! A big thank you to Firedreams for the eggs I raised, as well as the original 6 juvies that I'll still be keeping.... I have 15 axies... I'm guessing 8 will be going to an even greater palace!

That's fantastic! you'll have to share some pics when they're in their new home!

Thats awesome! They are going to be so happy with that much space to swim, float and been so cute in :)

Thats is great news indeed! Increasing education and awareness may help to save their original habitat.

k.

That's awesome! What a tank to spend the rest of their lives in! Just worked it out in 'English' it's twice and a third of mine, enormous! Is it just you donating?

When theyve set up the perfect tank for yours could you get them to send the how to to the British please. The zoos here have a care sheet to say they should be kept in tropical water on gravel :(

Yep, pics please! :)

That's Awesome! I once tried to donate my old pet Snapping Turtle 'Gamera' to a local zoo, but they wouldn't take him. Jerks.

Congrats, That is sooo great, I am so happy for you.
They will not know what to do with that much room,
Can you just see when the kids come to see them and if yours are anything like all the others start their little show, I wonder if they will be for lack of a better word "Show Offs"..........:happy::happy::happy:

That's such exciting news....you must be incredibly proud. You'll have to show us some pics once they are ensconced in their new pad.

I have no idea how big a 375 gallon tank would be but It sounds like it would hold a horde of axies in relative comfort.

Well pleased for you :happy:

That's awesome! What a tank to spend the rest of their lives in! Just worked it out in 'English' it's twice and a third of mine, enormous! Is it just you donating?

When theyve set up the perfect tank for yours could you get them to send the how to to the British please. The zoos here have a care sheet to say they should be kept in tropical water on gravel :(

It's just me donating - as far as I know, I brought axolotls to Winnipeg so unless those that bought some kids from me were willing to give up theirs.... ;)

It'll be interesting how they set up the tank. I asked if he would be interested in my axolotl care guide (an altered version of one I found on here) and he said yes, haha, so the zoo has MY requirements for a tank set up lol. I can pass along your request, but the other zoo may take it as an insult coming from another zoo a fair ways away. Sorry to hear your zoo is crazy :(

Out of interest, which zoo have you seen that at? Was it a local one?

I've tried talking my local zoo into getting axolotls, they just emailed me saying they didn't want Stanley and didn't have the space.
I was like uh excuse you, I don't want you to have my axolotl, I was merely suggesting we add them as an exhibit because they are fascinating gaha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I used to work at a small zoo- and sadly a lot of people do try and just dump their unwanted pets on them. We had people literally leaving animals in the car park, or putting them over the fence- and someone my mum knew had people dump a full grown pot bellied pig over their 6 foot fence. Somehow :confused:

People would also phone and get angry because you had to take their pet- how were they supposed to deal with an 8 foot boa/giant catfish/adult iguana?

So I can understand why they'd think you were just trying to talk them into taking it, people really do it all the time, sometimes lying about what the animal is. Yet again, it's irresponsible pet owners ruining it for everyone else.

That's great - well done you. You must be so proud. Photos are a must just as soon as they are there...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back