Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yellow water!

Morrison

Reaction score
The water in one of my tanks is pretty yellow! It looks like someone peed in it... I've heard of using carbon-stuff in my tank. But I don't have a filter where I can put it in, and I also wanted to change my filter into a sponge filter because it seems easier for me.

Is there another way to clear it up? (I don't have wood in my tank). Just plants, mossball and hides)

auntiejude

Reaction score
It may well be an algae bloom. When you dechlorinate the water it allows algae to grow - particularly when you have an increase in Nitrates. Have you checked your water quality?
I have used 'green away' in the past, but I'd recommend frequent water changes until the colour improves, and maybe try a plant to help absorb the nitrates.

Morrison

Reaction score
Actually... I don't dechlorinate my water. I've had some creepy problems with the dechlorinators over here. I do have plants in there, so that's a good thing.

It's pretty hot over here, is that also something that can make the water more yellow?

I'll do some more water changes :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Well chlorine is pretty nasty for aquatic animals - thats why it's used to prevent bacteria and algae growing in drinking water.
Have your axies had any problems with their skin or slime coat?
My axies scratch at thier gills if water quality gets below a certain level - are they showing any symtoms of distress at all?

Even if you're not dechloriating chemically then it could still be algae or bacteria if it's 'old' water. And yes, the heat will increase the growth of anything that gets a foothold.

Most dechlorinators are a sodium/sulfur compound (such as sodium thiosulphate) but many have additives such as slime coat protection and other so-called beneficial chemicals, not all are appropriate for amphibians. I use plain thosulfate. The other options for dechlorination are standing water for about a week or boiling it and allowing to cool.

Morrison

Reaction score
Thanks!
I usually leave the tapwater in a huge buckets for a day or two. Hoping that most of the chlorine will be out when I do the water change.
They never actually had a problem with their slime coat, only now that it's pretty hot you can see some 'heat stress' patches on my wildtypes. I'm doing my best to cool down the tank as well. I'm pretty busy with my little lotls :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1