Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pill Bug Diet

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
So, my axolotl isn't very fond of worms. So I tried to feed him pillbugs. They're small, so he can eat them without spitting them out like he did with the worms. The best thing is, they don't drown under water, and they walk around the bottom of the tank, attracting the attention of the axolotl. My Axolotl loves them but I don't know if you guys will. Is it okay to feed my Axolotl pillbugs? (I get them from outside, I don't use pesticides, and you can tell if they're unhealthy by their color)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I wouldnt suggest it. Anything with a hard shell i would say no to.. They have hard shells dont they? I dont know much about pill bugs. However they are not on the list of foods for axoltls so i will need to look more into it for nutritional info.

Check your local pet store and ask them about frozen foods. Even brine shrimp would be great size for them right now. Every pet shop should have a freezer with frozen foods for pets.. Ive never seen one that didnt.

JessKB

Reaction score
Pill bugs are a great food for axolotls. Their shells are more like shrimp shells than say a mealworm's shell. Salamanders eat them in the wild. I dont know how good they would be as a staple, but as an additional source of food theyre fine.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Pill bugs and woodlice are crustaceans, so their shell is made of calcium and they won't cause impaction. The calcium would be dissolved almost entirely by the animal's stomach acids.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!