Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Floating Bloated Juvenile Axolotl

Aqua

Reaction score
My poor little juvenile axolotl is floating upside down and having problems swimming, he has bubbles in his stomach, they don't let him get to the bottom for too long. I have tried the fridging method for a couple of days, it kind of works, then it just goes back to being bad again. I haven't fed him too much, should I be feeding him at all? How long can they go without eating? I think hes around 2 or 3 inches... Pleeeeaaaaaasseeee Help, I just want him to be alright, I am extremely worried : ( I use spring water for him.

emmyk

Reaction score
I hope someone with more experience can help you... but did you lower the water level? I hope he gets better:(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

maghan6

Reaction score
When my axies were that young, I had one that would float if he didn't eat enough. I would actually increase the amount of food he is getting. What are you feeding him and how often?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I agree with Maghan. Floating upside down is normally a sign they're not eating enough so I'd gradually increase the amount of food you feed. Worms are one of the best foods as they can get full quite easily on 2 or 3 medium sized ones plus they prevent the tank from getting mucky :)

PS A very well fed axolotl can survive for around 3 weeks without food, from what I remember.

Hope this helps!

Aqua

Reaction score
I feed the axie freeze dried bloodworms. How much should I be feeding then? It's like two to three inches, I feed it a couple of bloodworms every 2-3 days.. If he gets very active when I feed him, is that a sign that I really am not feeding enough? :||

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
You shouldnt be feeding them freeze dried anything. There is like 0 nutritional value to them. Id recommend going out and getting frozen bloodworms. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a cube a day for your axie.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Oh and he should be getting fed AT LEAST once a day, twice if you feel like he is still hungry, you cannot overfeed a juvenile axolotl they will eat till they cant fit anymore. Your problem may be the food you feed him and the frequency in which you feed him.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Omg sorry for posting a third time but i didnt read your first post. Air bubbles in their stomach can mean many things. Do you age you dechlorinated watwr at least 24hours before using it? This can get the axie to swallow bubbles. However i am leaning more towards he isnt getting enough food to push the bubble out.

And one thing do not put your axie in the fridge again! He is way to small and it can do way more harm to him then benefit. Just lower the water so he isnt so stressed out about floating, and find the coolest spot in the house for him. Not the fridge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1