Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help.

chuckie127

Reaction score
Hi, My axolotls really bloated, she just keeps floating upside down, and ive tried lowering the water level, salt bathing and putting her in the fridge for 2 days, nothing seems to be working. I just got in from work and have noticed her genital area looks all red and bloody like its a blood blister, shes in a empty tank at moment so nothing could of caused this, any help on what to do? some people have told me to just put her out her misery :(

Fidget

Reaction score
Water parameters? It's not a good idea to salt bath unless you have confirmed fungus. Sounds like she's got something wrong with her tank water chemistry, put her in a container with cool, clean, dechlorinated water and put it on the ground where you won't walk on her, make sure she's cold/under 20*C.

Is she eating at all?

emmyk

Reaction score
Tea bath is better than salt bath... salt is usually only for fungus. But like fidget said, keep her cold and check parameters

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1