Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salt baths

B3llaax3

Reaction score
One of my babie got bit over night, so I separated it frm everyone else. This morning I noticed that it had fungus in it so I tried to get most of the fungus off with a q-tip.
For how long can I do salt baths on my baby lotl before I see any change?
What should I do if the baths don't work?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Do weak salt baths, 15min each twice a day. If its only a little bit of fungus it probably wont take more then two or three days tops. Maybe after thefirst two baths.

Also add some steeped black tea to your tank, and just dilute it out with water changes every other day, that way when you put your axie back in the tank after a salt bath it will help soothe the slime coat and also help prevent anymore growth of fungus

Quentari

Reaction score
Do weak salt baths, 15min each twice a day. If its only a little bit of fungus it probably wont take more then two or three days tops. Maybe after thefirst two baths.

Also add some steeped black tea to your tank, and just dilute it out with water changes every other day, that way when you put your axie back in the tank after a salt bath it will help soothe the slime coat and also help prevent anymore growth of fungus

Don't tea baths tighten the pores (or something similar) and make it so salt baths don't work? That's what I've heard anyway :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I dont think so. As far as im concerned that would be a good thing. Salt baths are really stressful on an axolotl ecause they absorb everything in the wAter. We are targetting something that is above the skin with the salt baths so if the tea did tighten pores i would say it is a good thing. Less salt absorbed=less damage to the lotl. Thats why salt baths are only used on fungus. Because its the best quickest easiest treatment.. But for everything else a salt bath would just hurt your axie more

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1