Java Carpet?

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been thinking of changing the substrate in S'Miguel's axolotlarium, right now he has large pebbles and the little brat makes all manner of obnoxious noises when chasing his food, and I've been thinking of doing java moss. I've seen aquariums that are "carpeted" with java moss all along the bottom - but there isn't anything out there about how to do it/if it can be done without gravel. Any ideas? I figure the moss would be a good idea if I can get it to work, he loves his plants (I have a lot and he likes to hang out in them constantly) and that way when he gets a little crazy at 4am I won't be woken up by moving pebbles!

This sounds like an awesome idea! I want to know it too :D

Java moss will be just as bad as stones for cleaning if not worse! But I guess the noise will be better.

Java moss (or fern) shouldn't need anything underneath it. But another possibility would be astroturf/fake lawn - there's a really good post here somewhere and it looks great.

Thanks! I'm not super concerned about the difficulty of cleaning it, he's only about 6.5 inches long and he's my only lotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back