Whats happening to a few of my babies

susy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
lotol 2.jpg

lottol.jpg

sick lotol.jpg

mums 2nd batch in 12 weeks. 1st batch all good, but this batch I found one had a enlarged mouth and then 2 weeks later another one has it. Does anyone know what it is?

Bloat or fluid retention... Put them in with the parents, nature will take care of the rest. Sadly there's nothing else you can do... :(

Unfurtunately they are right :( its a genetic defect and bloat indicates total organ failure. If its an adult axolotl the vet can treat it but as a baby its 99.9% genetic and there is nothing that can be done. I had to euthanize 3 due to this

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back