Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cotton wool growth on my boy...... help!!

shellphant

Reaction score
I have just recently bought a golden albino male and he was fine until a couple of days ago when he refused food from me and now this morning when i check on the pair he has a small cotton looking growth on one of his frills :eek: how do i get rid of this and why would it have happened? I have a female in the same tank and she is perfect. Im just very worried about 'bam bam' as all of you probly would be uf it was your own. Please help!!

shellphant

Reaction score
Will he need to go into the fridge or do i just salt bath him and put him back into the tank? Im worried to put him into my fridge as i have young kids. Or is there another way of treating him as its a very small spot:confused:

ciele02

Reaction score
Hi, since your here in oz you'll be able to get hold of mecurachrome from the chemist..you know that awful red stuff you used to get painted on your knee scrapes when little. I have used this on my Axie when she had a fugus toe and it literally healed over night she didn't need to go into the fridge of was bothered at all. just get a clean cotton tip and soak in the mecurachrome, gently lift Axie to the surface or water, mine is pretty calm so it was easy and just very very gently wiped away fungus with clean end of cotton tip, if it doesn't come don't pull it, then wipe over with the mecurachrome, keep the Axie near the surface for a few seconds so it can soak in then let back into the tank. it has worked a treat for me I've had 2 Axies with fungus at seperate times and only had to use the mecurachrome once each time. I read about it somewhere here on the forum when someone was lamenting they couldn't get it in the U.K....best $3.5 i ever spent. hope this helps

pookiewn

Reaction score
Hi, since your here in oz you'll be able to get hold of mecurachrome from the chemist..you know that awful red stuff you used to get painted on your knee scrapes when little. I have used this on my Axie when she had a fugus toe and it literally healed over night she didn't need to go into the fridge of was bothered at all. just get a clean cotton tip and soak in the mecurachrome, gently lift Axie to the surface or water, mine is pretty calm so it was easy and just very very gently wiped away fungus with clean end of cotton tip, if it doesn't come don't pull it, then wipe over with the mecurachrome, keep the Axie near the surface for a few seconds so it can soak in then let back into the tank. it has worked a treat for me I've had 2 Axies with fungus at seperate times and only had to use the mecurachrome once each time. I read about it somewhere here on the forum when someone was lamenting they couldn't get it in the U.K....best $3.5 i ever spent. hope this helps

Salt baths are more than adequate for treating fungus! A lot of medications are not safe for an axolotl and salt costs next to nothing. Fungus is contagious too, so it's best to keep the infected axie out of the tank while they are recovering.

ciele02

Reaction score
I only recommended mecurachrome because other people in the forum have mentioned using it and complained when they have been unable to find it. My vet who specialized in reptiles and exotic pets also recommended it. My Axies who had fungus had been housed differently , and no other Axie they were housed with ended up with fungus. I am aware that most aquarium medications are not safe for reptiles and only mentioned this one because I have read it mentioned here and by the vet and I know it works and has eliminated the need for salt baths. I would not have recommended something that I have not researched or haven't used with success myself, please do not copy my quotes in insinuate that I dont know what I'm talking about simply because I offered another method for treating fungus.

Kerry M

Reaction score
I'm keen to buy myself a bottle of mercurochrome tomorrow morning. I'm sure that the literature says that it is safe, if anyone disagrees please let me know why this may be the case. It's good to hear a good report. I'm currently doing salt baths and they do really help as long as I keep to a good routine and don't miss any.

ciele02

Reaction score
When I first read about mecurachrome on here I remember being really shocked because they are so delicate with fish medications, but it worked a treat on my Yaargy and Fromage and doesn't contain iodine. I dont know about repeated applications but when i used it on them they only needed one tiny wipe with it and problem solved.

Kerry M

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am trying it and it seems to be working. I put a bit in the water too and have been lifting them out of the water to dab a little on. I am noticing a lot less fungus growth than remaining in the tank with no other treatment. I went to work today and there was a baby with open sores all over her, I wanted to put some in her bath water, I bet it would have been very beneficial to her skin. The little bottle only cost $2.70, very economical too, it'll probably last a while.

ciele02

Reaction score
The only thing I'm not sure of is dosing the water. I don't know if because its antiseptic, I would worry it may possible kill off some of your beneficial bacteria and crash your cycle. But I'm glad your noticing it clearing and its not as stressful as a salt bath. Post an update when you can I'd love to know how your Axie is going :) as far as human kids go I still think old school is the best school! I've never seen anything mecurachrome couldn't fix...we had a kid who had bad acne at school and used to get teased until his mum covered his face in it....Red faced literally for 2 weeks...acne disappeared though and never came back

Kerry M

Reaction score
I have given up on the mercurochrome, it wasn't dealing with fungus as well as the salt baths did. So the axies are all in the fridge and getting daily salt baths now. I think the fungus is gone but will wait a few more days. It will be a relief to not have fungus anymore. Hopefully my cycle hasn't crashed due to no ammonia in the tank. I'll need to keep my eye on those levels daily when the lotls return home.

Kerry M

Reaction score
I've put a couple of the lotls back in their tank tonight and they have eaten worms, they stopped eating them when they weren't well so I am very pleased.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Please stop using, and promoting the use of Mecurachrome. There's a reason it's not available in many places around the world, and thats because it's now considered to be toxic.

It's an organic mercury compound, and mercury is incredibly toxic to aquatic critters. The alcohol-based solution will also kill fish etc. In addition to this the red colour can hide discolouration of a wound, and make it hrder to monitor progress.

Mercury poisoning - a famous case: Minamata disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not the same chemical, but since axolotls live up to 15 years they will be affected far worse than short-lived fish.

As Kerry has discovered, salt is just as effective if nor more so, cheaper, easier and althoug still slightly toxic to axies will not have a long-term effect on them.

ciele02

Reaction score
Apologies, as I said earlier I checked with my vet who specializes in reptiles/Amphibians and I checked with him and he said it was safe. He said he has used it on his Axies for over 15 years. I will inform him he obviously is recommending the wrong thing to people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1