Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Tiger Salamander

Shaniqua

Reaction score
Hi there,
New to the forum.
I keep two tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli) at work and one has recently become more lethargic, and has more difficulty picking a cricket out of my fingers than it used to. It is still eating though, just not as energetically.
I have noticed white cloudy spots in the centre of its eyes, and a round discoloured spot on her head. Below the body, it is quite yellow, but I am not sure if this is the colour it was already - I have to say I'd never checked before.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated!
See photos below.

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 726
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 444
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 973

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are crickets all that you feed? Are they dusted/gutloaded?

Cloudy eyes can often be a sign of nutritional deficiency.

RPM

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,
Some details of your set up may aid in identifying the problem. I’m not familiar with the problems in the eyes or the spot on her head. The yellow coloration of the underside looks normal and similar to some of mine, though varies between individuals.
One of my diabolis has experienced lethargy twice in the past, appearing sluggish, unthrifty with no appetite. Both times the condition lasted about two to three weeks and then she pulled out of it and was fine. Good to see your tiger still has an appetite.

Shaniqua

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone.
One last question: Could a cloudy spot in the centre of the eye be a cataract? Could she be blind in one eye?
Now supplementing with calcium and the appetite has returned to normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!