Please help fast......

shellphant

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a golden albino male which i purchased a week ago today and im scaredhe is about to die:eek:he got the smallest patch of cotton looking stuff on his frill yesterday morning but was completely fine in every other way other than he hasnt eaten very much either. But on checking him this morning he is floating at the top of the water, he is still alive but im a first time owner and not sure what i have to do. I also have a femsle but she is perfect? Please help as im very fond of both of them and will be devistated if i loose either of them.......

Sounds like a water quality issue.

For now, as a precaution, I would take them both out of the tank and put them into seperate buckets/tubs/containers of fresh dechlorinated water.

Fungus can spread from one host to another, so please ensure the sick one is kept in isolation.

Keep them in the tubs until you can ascertain the problem. They will need their water changed out daily with fresh dehlclorinated water. Keep them somewhere cool.

While they're enjoying a holiday in the tubs...Please advise on the following:

Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH? If so, what were the results?

What is the water temperature? Axolotls are cold water amphibians and need to be kept below 23C, 16-18 is their optimal temperature range.

How large is the tank?

Do they have any other tank mates (fish)?

How frequently do you conduct partial water changes, and how much water do you change out each time?

Are you able to post photos of the axolotls and of their tank setup?

Welcome to the forum! :happy:

Thanks, she is fine and large as life wouldnt suspect any difference in her. Him on the other hand he is almost gone i think..... he has been floating at the top of the tank for most of today. He did have bright orange frills until this morning when i noticed theyre now white. I honestly think that he swallowed a rock or something in the petshop and hasnt been able to pass it. He hasnt eaten in 3 days now and the last time he ate he threw it back up. He also has momments when he has tried to throw up nothing. Ive also noticed his mouth is constantly slightly open and for not eating in 3 days i can now see he has lost weight but he still has a distict roundness about his belly. Its sooo hard watching him deteriate away and not know how to help him. Theyre in a large tank 230ltr and its nice and cold with little light also as i have a large cupboard blocking my window from light.
Thankyou very much for your interest as i really dont know what im doing i have only learnt as ive read on here

Hi shellphant!

From what you've told us I have a few guesses as to what's ailing your baby.If he constantly has an open mouth it can be a sign of impaction, as can not wanting to eat or attempting to vomit. I think he may have swallowed a large stone as you suggested. I also think he has fungus on his gill so he's going to need a salt bath if he still has it.

I would put him in cool, clean dechlorinated water in your fridge - just keep an eye on the temperature by putting a thermometer in a glass of water and keeping an eye on it (it should be 5 degrees or warmer). You'll need to keep your dechlorinated water in the fridge too, and clean the tub your boy is in daily, replacing it with the dechlorinated water from the fridge. While you clean that tub, give him a very brief salt bath (again, only if he still has the fungus) and then put him back in the new water.

Keep trying to feed your boy if you can - especially foods like worms, which will coat whatever is in his stomach. He might not eat while in the fridge.

If you think the stone is very large then he needs to go to the vet because he can't get it out on his own. Hopefully these steps should help him get better :)

Its defintely rocks from the petshop as i use sand and i can feel the rocks.he is very close to passing them or it but i dont think he can. I cant use my fridge as i have small children and know that somrthing tertible will probly happen to him while he is in there. I think my only option would be a vet as he hasnt eaten in days now, he is just lifelessly floating around the tank...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back