Has anyone seen this in an axie before?

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My friend has a bunch (thanx to me), some she has even raised right from eggs, but there is one in particular she's always been worried about. I think he's fine but the thing is he only grew nubs for back legs, he also has very tiny front legs that are nearly immobile. He gets around, he's happy and eats like a pig but his limbs are either missing or hardly move if at all. We've nicknamed him cappy. He is also a little on the small side length wise. He is about 5 months old and "maybe" 3 inches long. Anyways just wondered if any of you have seen or heard of this before or if anyone also owns a "special" axie of their own. I'm adding a pic of him. I'm on my phone so I hope it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 211
Unfurtunately yes ive seen this, 5times actually. I had given one of them to one guy who bought an axie off me and told him i didnt know if he would make it. Like this axie underdeveloped limbs etc. that axie didnt make it, started retaining fluid and died.

Apparently this guy has quite a bit of knowledge on amphibians, not axolotls however but he has noticed a direct corelation to underdeveloped limbs in young juveniles and fluid retention. I had 4others out of the batch with this same thing.

Its a genetic thing that theres really nothing you can do about it.. I am not sure if i can tell if there is any fluid retention yet in this axie but he is very small for his age as well. I had one live to be 4months old before he cloaca prolapsed.

Im not saying 100% this is what it is but this is what i have noticed. I would give him a chance and see how he fares in the next month or two.

Actually he may be from the same batch of eggs as i had. Where did you get the eggs?

We got the eggs from a breeder in the Toronto area. I got 3 off of her prior that were already 2 months old and they are great! This batch I believe was from the second breeding. Out of about 20 eggs 12 hatched and 9 survived. Cappy is the only one out of the 9 with this defect.

I actually also have one from the same batch, I think he is rather small for his age being about 3.5 inches, he has a shorter tail than my others but his limbs are fully developed and fully functional.

Guessing it is the same clutch of eggs. Did they hatch around march 8-9th?

I had one who was a stunted grower but his limbs developed fine he was just half the size as the rest. He is perfectly healthy though and started to grow eventually

Please, please, please take that gravel out of the tank. While it looks quite big there are some pieces that can be eaten now leading to impaction. This will only give the little one more problems.

Hope it does ok, it looks nice and healthy minus the legs :)

Yes that date sounds accurate. I guess it was just a bad batch. I hope he pulls through tho, he's quite happy or at least seems happy. He pretty much swims like a fish.

As for the rocks I've told her to take them out and told her to either use a bare bottom or sand. My axies have sand in their tanks.

This is my Howie, also from the same batch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 182
That is really cool that there is actually a name for this! I searched forever to figure out what was wrong with my babies! It was one guy who bought two from me who explained how there was a corelation to the short underdeveloped limbs and the fluid retention which is caused by renal failure! Thank you! Though none of my babies lived past 4months old it says it could live up to one year.. Its really hard when they get so full of fluid that they cant even eat from the bottom anymore you have to 100% hand feed them, and they dont develop much after the fluid retention starts

Thank you everyone for the comments, although not good news at least we know what is going on now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back