Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Black lips and claws

Hood

Reaction score
I have had this axolotl for about a week now, i noticed he had dark coloring around his lips when i got him, but now they are getting darker and i noticed his claws are getting black aswell... is this normal?

water parameters.. PH 6.8 - nitrite 0 - nitrates 20ppm, havent got an ammonia test
he is eating and swimming quite happily in a 4ft tank

i got him a little girlfriend about 4 days ago, she is only about 7cm long (he is 15cm), she is showing no signs of discoloring....
i feed them the same things just different sized portions

i tried to get a clear pic of his foot but he went all camera shy, i will keep trying though
any help appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• 20130802_161057.jpg
    20130802_161057.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,211

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
It's normal. All 4 of mine have dark inner lips and black spots on the bottom of their digits as well. :)

Quentari

Reaction score
The black on his toes are a sign that he's almost a grown up lotl. Be careful with his girlfriend, size differences can get nasty for the poor smaller one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1