Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update on my axolotl. 6 months old

mamangenn

Reaction score
Good morning. my *baby axies* are 6 months old now.:) they are between 8 and 9 inches:)

that s shaggy a month ago the one that had a fungus

and shaggy now

velma

scooby

and doo

( the really greenish color is because of my lighting. he she is a regular wild one)

i am really happy that shaggy is doing better:) i think i have 4 females but maybe shaggy is a male i am not sure. he is still really thin and have a little bump( he /she is the only one with a bump. the other are flat)

HayleyK

Reaction score
They are adorable and shaggy looks like he's doing good! I have to say - the last photo looks like there's a foot growing out of his mouth! Haha

mamangenn

Reaction score
lol i know. i love that picture:)

yes shaggy is doing good. he is eating one big worm every 2 days now. he is starting to gain weigth:)

:)

snuggly time

Reaction score
Shaggy looks so much more healthier. That photo of Doo, at a first glance it looked like he or she was eating a leg! Maybe it's just me after a long day at work haha.

emmyk

Reaction score
Wait what is he eating? Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tephra

Reaction score
Argh, help! He's eating his own foot!

Awesome picture :D

They all look so very beautiful, happy and healthy :)
Good job raising them :)

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Looking great! I will let Bob and Eurydice know that their babies are all grown up! ;)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Looking great! I will let Bob and Eurydice know that their babies are all grown up! ;)

I see their babies everywhere, on instagram, caudata. Sometimes i am like omg they look like twins! To find out they are from the same batch of eggs.

One thought though.. My babies are 5months old, was there a batch in between echo and texas and then the babies i raised?

So these wouldnt be my lotls brothers and sisters :(

firedreams

Reaction score
These are your babies brothers and sisters, just from a different egg batch ;) Eurydice produced an egg batch every month this winter!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Thats a lot of axolotls! >.< echo is a male and texas is a female so i just hope i dont get any surprises before i can plan out how this is going to work

firedreams

Reaction score
Btw, some of Eurydice and Bob's children (your Axie brother and sisters) are going to be forming a new Axolotl exhibit at the Assiniboine Zoo in Manitoba this fall, in a palatial 375g tank!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Yes i saw that thread! That is so awesome! You must be so proud!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1