Question: New aquarium

Jcreppel

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first time ever owning an aquarium and did some research before setting it up. I bought sand to cover the bottom and rinsed it like the bag said, however, my water is still kinda cloudy. And this was about four days ago. I haven't ordered my axolotl as of yet because I want envy thing to be completely correct before I do all that. Any suggestions on how to clear up my water, if it would even bother the axolotl?

I'm in the same place as you. I'm setting up my tank before fetching my new pets. (I haven't sorted my sand yet, but my water is brown from tannins from my mopani wood.)

What I'm doing at the moment is focussing on getting my tank cycled. If you're not in any rush to get your axolotls, you might want to do the same. Have you got a water test kit yet? (I ordered some ammonia and water mixture to dose the tank. I'm having issues reading the colour chart on my test kit, but it has started cycling now.)

The benefit of getting your cycle going first is your axolotl's new home will be filled with helpful bacteria ready to keep ammonia and nitrate at bay, and mean your new friend is less likely to get hurt by a spike. (Although frequent water testing is advisable to keep a look out.)

Alternatively, you can keep it in tupperware and use their waste water - when you change their tupperware water daily - to add ammonia to the tank to get the cycle going. It depends whether you're up for doing daily water changes.

If the cloudiness is leftover powder in the sand, it will eventually go away, but since you are only 4 days into it, it might make sense to start over with it. For rinsing, put the sand in a big bucket and swirl it with water from a hose. For a long time.

Some tap water will cloud initially in a new tank. If this is the problem there's nothing you can do but wait it out. Adding some live plants might help.

Thanks for the advice! I think I will take it out and rinse again. I'm not in a hurry to get my axolotl for any other reason than I'm just super excited! Lol. But seeing how as this will be my first ever aquarium, I want to make sure I know everything I need to before I get him so I can keep him healthy! I have a water test kit and everything, but I'm in the same boat....I'm just not sure how to read it or know what to look for. I went to petsmart and they said if I bring in a sample of my water they will test it for me too. I've done quite a bit of research on the environment they like, but of course any additional advice from firsthand experience Is greatly appreciated, like I said I want to make sure I know as much as possible before actually acquiring my axolotl.

Cloudy water can also be bacteria bloom, this is a good thing :) Do you have a filter in your tank? Which one is it please?

The best way to keep him healthy is a cool, clean tank. With a few hides and things to climb/hang on and a diet of live wriggly worms!

Which test kit do you have? Perhaps we can help you read and understand it :) Sometimes petshops will tell you the water is fine, when its not. Also towards the end of the cycle is useful to be able to test the water daily to find out if the nitrates are doing their job.

Would love to see pics of your tank. The "show me your tanks" thread is great for inspiration for axiescaping :) Before I got mine and still do, spend hours reading old and new threads gaining as much info as possible.

I would just say that if you were only 4 days into your tank and you werent adding daily ammonia then they cycle wont have started yet.
I posted a link on here a few days ago telling you in simple steps how to cycle your tank so that you can be worry free about ammonia poisoning your lottle :D
Plus fishless cycling doesnt usually take as long, whoop!

I have 2 marine land bio wheel 200 filters and I rinsed them out which helped IMMENSELY! Also I have a 5 i1 test strip, it's for the ph, no2, no3, kh, and gh. Now I'm assuming the big reason I'm having a hard time with the strips is because I'm having a hard time really understanding what it needs to be at. I'm going to try to upload a pic of my aquarium, but I'm on my ipad....so we shall see how this goes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 299
And also I'm kind of lost on like the water changes and all of that. I'm sorry if some of my questions sound silly, but I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up! ? Lol. So once I get my levels where they need to be and get my axolotl, how often should I change the water, how much I should change, and how do y'all go about doing it if you have a large tank while keeping the levels where they need to be?

ph between 7 and 8 is fine (I think it may be a bigger range than that actually)
Nitrite (2) will be 0 once cycled, try and keep it below 20 if you can while cycling if you have a fish in there
nitrate (3) should be around 20-40 once cycled (some people will say lower than 40). Try and keep it below 80 anyway, at that level it starts to get toxic.

Strips are good to keep an eye on things, but the liquid tests are much more accurate and reliable. You'll also need to get something to test the ammonia, since that's the most toxic of the three and it's the first one you'll see so it's pretty important :rolleyes:

Hey dont worry, i know id rather you asked first before you hit any problems.

Although a liquid test kit sounds expensive at first around £20-£30 it literally does last months on end, ive had mine around 7 months and its not nearly empty yet :D

These will give you an accurate reading of the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrAte in you tank and also tells you whats safe and not.

I have a 20 gallon long tank and i do a water change of around 30-50% each weekend.
I have a regular bucket set up with dechlorinator in it around 24 hours hours before im going to do the water change and once ive scooped the dirty water out, i just pour that in.
During the week i use a turkey baster to scoop out and debris i see haha

Thank y'all for all of the advice! I'm going to go get a liquid test kit tomorrow and get all of that situated! I appreciated all the info! ? Once I get my little friend Ill be sure to upload some pics!!

Is it ok to use bottled water that has had reverse osmosis? that is what I use for my saltwater tank.

Ok guys!!!! I'm so excited! Just got my little babies in today and they are beyond adorable! I'm attaching a photo of them! My little green guy seems a bit shy so he's always hiding....unless there's food involved. Lol. But he seems to like hiding in his rock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 239
The only other question I can think of at this point is how much longer until I can allow them to live together? I have plexiglass separating them for now (definitely dont want the eating each other ?) but I'm so excited for them to start to interact. How should I tell when they will be able to do so without devouring each other?

I don't have any information on housing babies/ juvies but I just wanted to say - oh my gosh they are the cutest!! Unfortunately I haven't had much luck finding breeders around my area (didn't know about shipping either) so all my axolotls came from pet shops so they were well established. Ahhhhhh I want a little baby! Too cute :D

Hey just thought I'd post and say that RO water isn't suitable for axies. If your tap water isn't dangerously high in ammonia ect then use that with some tap water conditioner/dechlorinator :)

I just wanted to make sure tha you have a plan to keep the aquarium cool because I know in North Carolina the summers can get a little hot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back