Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need ? answered quick

Mama Mia

Reaction score
I just received my Axie yesterday through the mail... he seemed fine last night he even ate a couple of pellets seller sent with him, now tonight he will only spit them out or just ignore them, plus he is doing twist and turns in his water, his head up toward the surface and he will do little twist and turns, and then go to the bottom and stick his face and head in the corner. to me it looks like he is having a hard time moving around Swimming, and walking, the water temp is 69 F, he is in just a plastic container, he does go into his hide for just few and come back out nd do the twist and stand on his head almost, I was getting ready to do a water change, because he has been in this water since he got here yesterday, and I was told I had to do daily water changes until I got him in his tank,
I hope I have not used th wrong water Dechlorinater, I read that not all were good for them and would kill them, I used tetra Aqua Safe I am pretty sure someone on here told me that this brand was fine but I have have been getting so much info from so many different places,
I really hope and pray you guys are going to laugh at me and say I am just a nervous Nellie, and my guy seems all right but what can I say, I feel like a new mom to a new born which is so what true,
most of all can someone let me know if I used the wrong type of dechlorinater

Thanks

Quentari

Reaction score
Don't worry too much if he isn't eating yet, axies often take some time to settle in (although some eat like pigs right from the start!). If he's in fresh water every day then his twists and turns are probably either him being active (they are terrible swimmers) or possibly him being frustrated at the size of the tub. I know when I had mine in tubs because I was fixing the tank I had a few that would thrash around every couple of hours, had to leave lids on the tubs to stop water going everywhere!
The only dechlorinators that aren't good for them are the ones that add slime coat or aloe vera or bacteria and stuff like that (some slime coat ones are okay though), just general dechlorinator is usually fine.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Oh No! this one says it does have a slime coat in it, it also says it has essential vitamins and minerals, but no type of bacteria,
I live in the middle of no where 60 miles from nearest pet shop, I get everything on-line, what can I do?
and what type should I get if I haven't killed him :(
And yes he is swimming and very active,
He watches me alot to.
I do have the big light on in my bedroom so I am going to turn that off to see if anything changes I am just freaking out over the water treatment now

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I dont think your dechlorinator is bad for your axie.
However if you use to little/to much that can be harmful for any brand.

I use nutrafin chloro x change and prime sometimes.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Thank you guys to you both, I think he is just going to be one of those active Axies, I would swear he grinned at m when I dimmed the main lighting in my bedroom, he made a couple of rounds of the container and went in his hide, now sleeping
thanks again for helping me

snuggly time

Reaction score
That dechlorinator contains traces of iodine which can help an axie morph. It might be best changing it soon. I used nearly a whole bottle before I realized, but my axie is fine though. Make sure you are measuring it correctly :)

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys that helped me last night in my panic,
He seems fine this morning he is eating like a pig, he is just cruising his container it seems h is just checking everything out,
I will not use the declhlorinator anymore, I just ordered some API, the lady I bought him from uses that, so it has got to be ok,
And even thought he is in a container I draw the water up into a gallon jug and do the measuring that way so that it is the right amount.
Thanks again to all,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1