How to avoid going through metamporphosis?

Soe

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Does anyone knows what tricker the metamporphosis, and how it can be delayed?

Lowering the water surface and heating up will do the opposite, so maybe its possible to delay it by keeping the water cool and have lots of it. Also food objects may have an influence, so it could be interesting to know if anyone have any experience.

I have about 100 A. tigrinum showing no signs of change, even they are up to 14 cm, but I would like to get them to pass 20 cm before they go on land :happy:

Best wishes
Søe

cool down the water if you can, and feed them a lot,

may be if kept in the dark ? sometimes in deep pond they don't metamorphose and get big...

The natural way would be to ensure water quality and low temperatures and abundance of food items. I am not sure if lower water levels or the resulting accumulation of pheromones and waste chemicals are the key, My guess is keeping the water clean with frequent changes or the use of a an ozone filter, something that can remove pheromones from the water would be a good idea. Artificially you can try a synthetic thyroid hormone receptor antagonist like NH-3.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back