Help..something is wrong with Ickus :(

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
So last night he had a huge earthworm as usual..he seemed normal. This morning he was almost frantically swimming, and I noticed his mouth is open about halfway. He has not closed his mouth since this morning. Also he is gripping on to plants with his legs and hanging on them and he has never done that. His cloca is pretty enlarged also...but he is not laying sperm . He seems uncomfortable...and I don't know what to do or what is going on. There is nothing but hides and sand and plants in the tank, and his two tank mates seem fine. Any ideas?

Any large snails or other creatures he could have swallowed? Or perhaps a piece of driftwood that broke off?

If his mouth truly doesn't close, you may have to get him into a container for a bit and try to gently pry his mouth open...

I have no idea :( we have had him for 2 years and never had any problems. There are no other creatures in the tank, just axies. No driftwood, I have large and small plants in there, and two man made caves. Thanks!

Could you possibly give us a picture of his open mouth, the swollen cloaca and how he hangs onto plants?

Here are two pictures...I couldn't get one on the plant I was however able to gently open his mouth and I didn't see anything just the inside of his mouth and he opened wide too. His mouth is more open in this pic when he kind of "gasps"

Attachments

• 100MEDIA36IMAG1893.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG1893.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 100MEDIA36IMAG1896.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG1896.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 201
Apologies for the awful quality, but it is the only camera I have.

Update: his whole body keeps coming up off the sand and he will open his mouth very wide as if he is trying very hard to cough or vomit. Not sure if I should fridge him? We love him so much and we are truly baffled :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back