So yeah I've got eggs...

Tephra

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I woke up to my Dopey in the middle of laying eggs this morning.

I have no room for letting these things hatch...
I have made a thread in the for sale section for whoever will take them.

I have some questions though...
How do you remove the eggs from the tank?
And how do you send those things by mail (aka what kind of box do you put it in etc)?

I'm very new to this, this is the first batch of eggs I've had.
Mother and father are not related at all, and I've seen nothing but spermatophores lately, so the eggs should be good.
Mommy is golden albino, daddy is a white melanoid.

I've heard that you can euthanize the eggs by freezing them if you want to cull some, I think it's most ethical to do it quickly if you are to do that.
I posted some eggs to someone on a water bottle with a little water (half filled I think) and the bottle was tiny (25ml) and the cap was taped. I've read that some people use CD cases but I haven't tried that myself.
Watch out that you don't fall in love with the eggs, I did and spent a year rearing the little ones. I will only keep 20 eggs next time if I do that again as I'm not into large scale breeding. However it was an awesome experience so I'd do it again if I went back in time (just with fewer eggs).
Have fun :)

What's the best way to take them out of the tank? Do you use a spoon or something of the likes?

How can you tell if the eggs are fertilized?
Here's a piccy of some eggs:

970646_10151802883432220_1953295904_n.jpg

And here's the mom still hard at work:

21461_10151802883427220_2013410064_n.jpg

If they aren't fuzzy and moldy, you're good. And gahhh why do you have to be so far away I wanted some):

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Nobody's reacting to my for sale thing D:

Nobody wants these eggs? I don't have room to put them anywhere...

I want the eggs but you're too far away):

Yeh, could always use fedex to get them there fast, but that's way expensive x_x

Wait where do you live? Your bio says Belgium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back