Photo: Axolotl Juvenile Set Up-Thoughts?

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently purchase 2 Axolotls. Both are wild types, but 1 is a glowing type. I want to say they are supposed to be about 3 or 4 inches, I can't remember. All I have to do is add another hide, some more silk plants, some LARGE river stones, and get 2 sponge filters. This is temporary, until I can get my big tank clean, a top made for it, and they get bigger. I may change up the decor. Not really happy with it, except for my foam floating plants, you can get for Bettas.

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Attachments

• Bruises, bugs and a house 055.jpg
    Bruises, bugs and a house 055.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Bruises, bugs and a house 057.jpg
    Bruises, bugs and a house 057.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,148
Hi!

Have you got a little filter for those? if not you'll have to do around 50% water changes daily to make sure the water's okay for your little axies, other than that they should be fine temporarily while they're still small. Just remember to get a nice big one for them before they outgrow the little tanks!!

Have you heard about cycling yet? it won't be an issue if you're doing daily water changes but once you have a bigger tank + filter you might want to look into it.

Hi!

Have you got a little filter for those? if not you'll have to do around 50% water changes daily to make sure the water's okay for your little axies, other than that they should be fine temporarily while they're still small. Just remember to get a nice big one for them before they outgrow the little tanks!!

Have you heard about cycling yet? it won't be an issue if you're doing daily water changes but once you have a bigger tank + filter you might want to look into it.

No I haven't got filters for them yet. And yes I know about cycling. I am a fish and reptile keeper. I am looking to make my own sponge filters for these 2.

ALSO: I changed the plants to my bigger silk plants. They look better, now. Just need a hide for the green kritter keeper.

You are now obliged to post cute pictures of your new pets.

No I haven't got filters for them yet. And yes I know about cycling. I am a fish and reptile keeper. I am looking to make my own sponge filters for these 2.

ALSO: I changed the plants to my bigger silk plants. They look better, now. Just need a hide for the green kritter keeper.

Oh good :D I did have a moment where I wasn't sure if you were really new (those plastic 'tanks' are really cheap and most newbies use them) so I had a moment of panic before remembering to be polite because even if you are new that's no excuse to be mean and being helpful is better anyway :rolleyes: besides, cheap tanks are excelent for temporary tanks!

Wow that was all completely off-topic... Hopefully we can see some pictures soon!

Oh good :D I did have a moment where I wasn't sure if you were really new (those plastic 'tanks' are really cheap and most newbies use them) so I had a moment of panic before remembering to be polite because even if you are new that's no excuse to be mean and being helpful is better anyway :rolleyes: besides, cheap tanks are excelent for temporary tanks!

Wow that was all completely off-topic... Hopefully we can see some pictures soon!

Yes they are. And I already had these. I actually have a bigger tank that needs to be cleaned for them. I probably won't get them for another month or 2. :(

OH I didn't realise you didn't even have them yet :p

Pretty bummed. My Axies arrived were DOA. One seemed like it was dead for a while.

Uhm... were they sent by mail or something? I know that can work easily with axolotl eggs, but it's not advisable to do this with live animals...

The best thing you can do is pick them up from a breeder, or ask if any breeder here is close enough to where you live.

I got my two shipped to me no problems at all. They were shipped with overnight delivery and left her door and got to my door in 17hours. Along with some eggs as well. All took the trip wonderfully neither were stressed, they ate that same day.

If you are going to ship live animals, time and weather need to be considered. Its summer so i would assume ive packs in a cooler would ne necessary for a trip, and the trip would need to be less then 24hours.. I got mine in the winter time and there were those heating pad things for them so the water didnt freeze. They were even still warm when they arrived.

Uhm... were they sent by mail or something? I know that can work easily with axolotl eggs, but it's not advisable to do this with live animals...

The best thing you can do is pick them up from a breeder, or ask if any breeder here is close enough to where you live.

Yes they were shipped. I don't know of any local breeders.

I got my two shipped to me no problems at all. They were shipped with overnight delivery and left her door and got to my door in 17hours. Along with some eggs as well. All took the trip wonderfully neither were stressed, they ate that same day.

If you are going to ship live animals, time and weather need to be considered. Its summer so i would assume ive packs in a cooler would ne necessary for a trip, and the trip would need to be less then 24hours.. I got mine in the winter time and there were those heating pad things for them so the water didnt freeze. They were even still warm when they arrived.

I figured that was part of it. But one look like it had his stomach ripped open.

Oh no :( how were they shipped? If you want to pm me instead you can. I am guessing they were not packaged right.. I am so sorry for your loss. :( can you maybe find another breeder that perhaps has more experience shipping live pets?

Oh no :( how were they shipped? If you want to pm me instead you can. I am guessing they were not packaged right.. I am so sorry for your loss. :( can you maybe find another breeder that perhaps has more experience shipping live pets?

Sent you a PM.

Well, I got everything sorted out. Got her to ship me some more. I feel bad. I am her first DOA. :(

Got my filters made and in the tanks. They are made from Medium Medicine Bottles, washed of course, Filter floss, gravel, air stone, air hose, and air pump. They look nice. About to begin cycling process. Hopefully they have a while until they are here. Going to add rocks from my established tank.

My one though on this is they most likely will grow out of those before you even get the cycling complete. Just a fyi. They grow really fast as juveniles.

My one though on this is they most likely will grow out of those before you even get the cycling complete. Just a fyi. They grow really fast as juveniles.

Really? I didn't know they grew fast no that fast. I haven't even got them yet. Since the first were DOA. I guess instead of cycling I will just work on their main tank, getting it ready. Thanks! :eek:

Well it takes a long time to cycle a tank with lotls in them and in 8weeks they could be over 5 or 6".. After 6" i find they slow down in growth but my three juveniles are 5months old and are 6"..

Well it takes a long time to cycle a tank with lotls in them and in 8weeks they could be over 5 or 6".. After 6" i find they slow down in growth but my three juveniles are 5months old and are 6"..

Okay, Thank you. I will have to just get the main tank ready. then. I am think of doing a sand bottom with live plants. I already have pieces of wood with Java Ferns tied to it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back