Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving

kimo

Reaction score
Hi there

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to move my little aliens?
Im due to move in 2 weeks & I don't have the luxury of a spare tank.
My idea was to put them in a large bucket with the filter & the water from the tank (to keep the filter bacteria alive) Then next day when I move fill the tank up again & put the water, aliens & filter back in.
Will this work?
Any help would be great THANKS xx

Tephra

Reaction score
As long as you keep the water cool, it should be fine.
What I sometimes do to help it stay cool is I put them in tubs with a lid and put them in a cooling box with a cooling element from the fridge wrapped in a towel.

It all depends on where you live and what the temperature currently is. Just make sure they can be kept in a dark place, it calms them more.

kimo

Reaction score
It will only be for 1 to 2 days max. Its a big tank that is being moved (thankfully not by me :happy:)
Thanks for the idea bout a dark place. I will keep them in the dark even when I return them to the tank so they are no too stressed.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, that sounds like it would work, although it depends on how many 'aliens' you have and how big the bucket is! i would recommend buying a battery operated air pump to keep oxygen levels safe. Also remember to keep an eye on the temperature at this time of year, a small volume of water can warm up to fatal levels very quickly in a car or house with no ventilation. Hope this helps!:happy:

Tephra

Reaction score
Don't forget about the cooling box.

A short while ago I was going to purchase an axie off of someone else, but that person lived quite a while away.

So I brought my cooling box with several cooling elements (it's something that you put in the freezer and take out when needed to keep your box cool).

In the end it was able to keep my new axie cool all the way back. But it also kept the box cool on the way there. I'm looking at... 10+ hours maybe? It was a long time to keep something cool, considering the day temperature (in the shade) was about 33°C....

Yup. Cooling box in transporting during summer cannot be missed in my opinion.

mewsie

Reaction score
How far are you moving, Kimo?

I recently moved 4 axolotls from Glasgow to Halifax (300 miles approx). I had all sorts of grand plans about keeping filters running etc, but in the end it just became too much work and too risky to my car interior!

The morning of the move (9am?) I popped each axolotl in a 'tupperware' watertight tub with clean, dechlorinated water that I picked up from Sainsburys, and put the axolotls in the fridge while I took everything out of the tank. (The lady who came to do the flat inspection nearly passed out when she checked inside the fridge!)

I had two polystyrene boxes from some meat we had transported, so two axolotl-filled tubs went in each box, which had ice packs on the bottom, a layer of bubble wrap, the tubs, more bubble wrap, and more ice packs on the top (I have a lot of ice packs), and a couple of extra tubs filled with simply clean, dechlorinated water - just in case - followed by the box lid.

When I arrived at the new place (10pm?), I swapped a bit of water out of each of their tubs and gave them some fresh while I rebuilt the tank stands, filled them, and put all their ornaments and plants back in. The plants I had kept damp in fish bags, the ornaments just dried out.

It did mean I have had to carefully re-cycle 4 tanks at the new place (oooft) but in the end, it was the easiest solution.

If it's going to take you more than one day to move, I think you need to be vigilant with keeping them very cool and making sure you have plenty of dechlorinated water to hand - probably giving them a water change every 12 hours or so.

We'd moved pretty much everything else the few days before, so only the tanks and axolotls, a mattress, and a few bits and bobs were left. They were the last, and most precious bit of the move, but it was worth the frantic morning just to make sure they were alright. I don't know if that helps any :)

Where are you moving from, to?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't put anything in the container with your axolotls. Sloshing is stressful enough without being bombarded with filter media.

Take your filter media out, put it in a bucket with all your decorations and substrate (if possible) and just enough water to keep everything moist.

Mewsie's tip on bringing clean water with you is solid advice. Axolotls, like children, always have to poop the second you put them in the car.

mewsie

Reaction score
Mewsie's tip on bringing clean water with you is solid advice. Axolotls, like children, always have to poop the second you put them in the car.

Yeah - the story of how I managed to move my boyfriend down to Halifax is a much longer and more complicated one.

Tephra

Reaction score
The lady who came to do the flat inspection nearly passed out when she checked inside the fridge!
OH MY GOD LOL

I had two polystyrene boxes from some meat we had transported, so two axolotl-filled tubs went in each box, which had ice packs on the bottom, a layer of bubble wrap, the tubs, more bubble wrap, and more ice packs on the top (I have a lot of ice packs), and a couple of extra tubs filled with simply clean, dechlorinated water - just in case - followed by the box lid.

Sort of like my solution; except I wrapped all the ice stuff in towels instead. Both would work :)

Moving axolotls - quite the adventure.

mewsie

Reaction score
OH MY GOD LOL

It was hilarious. I took Milton out of the fridge to show her, but she did that thing people do - stayed as far back as possible and tentatively leaned over the tub, clutching her clipboard to her chest like a shield against... Well, I dunno really.

kimo

Reaction score
Im only moving to the other side of the town but I only have 1 day off work to do it in. My fella said he will keep them at his until the tank is set up so it will only be a day max. I def need to keep them separate in case of biting. He has got me some big barrels & were going to save as much water as we can. I shall put the filter in water & keep it running with the air stone so the bacteria doesn't die.
Im just glad I don't have to do any of the lifting lol the tank & stand are heavy enough without all the water :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1