Question: 100% H20 Changes

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mia
Hi, Everyone,
So I have had my lil guy for almost a week now and after 1 scare everything has been going good,
I do have a concern though, I am having to do 100% water changes daily, he's still in a tub, cooling issues, anyways, how is the best way to transfer him from one tub to the other? What I have been doing is fixing new water in another tub just like the one he's in and then scooping him out and putting him in the new tub of water, I have been making sure they are the same temp and the tubs are just alike, but it seems like when I go to get him to move him he gets very stressed and swims away really fast and hides I don't want to hurt him or stress him at all,
It will be a week before I can get him in his tank, I ordered a chiller but it is on back order and should be here by the 15th.
I know this is like novel, but I like to make sure I give as much information as possible to help get an answer, and no one has to ask a bunch questions.
I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me and thanks in advance.

That's so cool you can afford a cooler, I'd love to get one. I personally just lift with my hand, but I make sure to scrub with just water for a while so there isn't any contaminates. But this is bad for their slime coat.. You can use nets, but there are concerns about snagging gills or fingers ... I either lift him with my hand or scoop him up in a cup/small tub.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I also just scoop mine by hand. They freak out for a minute (wouldn't you if some giant came and pulled you out of your house?!), but they get over it quickly.

I use a pretty soft fish net. I'm too scared I might drop my lotls on the floor when I scoop them out by hand. Especially when I try to scoop out Xotl. He freaks out all the time and wiggles around like a lunatic in a straitjacket.

I've seen people use a plant pot to scoop them out (clean obviously). The water runs out of the holes in the bottom and the lotl stays in the pot. I don't know what people think of that idea?

I use my hands. They get used to it - even if they don't like it.
There are some good pictures in the salt bath tutorial, and I have found that making sure their feet are supported (so they stand on your hands rather than you hold their tummy) they get a little less stressed.

Just a note, I don't move mine 'over land' by hand. If I'm moving them more than a few inches, I scoop them into a tupperware.

I SLOWLY pour the water and axie from the old container through a fishnet (size proportioned) into a (dirty water container)until I have claimed the axie in the net, and then I cup my hand under the net for support and slowly incline the net open side tword new container until axie slides out! (Make sure there's plenty of water in new tub so axie don't get brain damage on bottom:eek:) this is the easiest way that I have found! And I do this 123 times a day 7 days a week:what: hope this helps! Take a look at my zoo!:D

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376360492988.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376360492988.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 147
First and foremost thanks to all of you guys for giving me the advice on this, it has helped so much, :happy:
And to jburns alls I can say is WOW- lot of work, but the reward is worth it. :smile:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back