Hello

Jcay727

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Newly Joined, My names Jordan, And attached is a photo of Axel looking very happy. He's mine (&/my partners) Axolotl which we've had for about a week or so. Had been reading about them and thinking about getting one or two for a while. Happened to be browsing the local pet shop when we were supposed to be food shopping and decided to buy one!

2013-08-04 18.11.34.jpg

So yeah, as the topic suggests, Hello all! :D

Welcome to the forum! Before the flak starts, you'll want to remove all those sharp pieces of gravel! They're no good for soft little axolotls, inside or out!

He's mine (&/my partners) Axolotl

Hehe, thats how it goes here. They're MINE, MINE I TELLS YA (oh yeah, and his too, whatever).

Congrats to you both, thats a really cute little axolotl. Welcome to the forum!

(and yesh - lose the gravel asap! Gravel ends up on the inside of axolotls far easier than you'd think!)

Hi,

way ahead of you guys! Haha! This was the only stuff they had in the shop at the time which was only temporary.

I'm now using very fine "Children's Play sand" (Of silica base I assume) which I got a cracking deal on in tesco (10Kg's for £2 cheapest on ebay was around £6-£7 for 2.5Kg)

For the time being he's in a small £6 pet keeper from wilkinsons which is plenty big enough till he starts getting bigger at which point I'll invest in a larger tank.

I've been feeding him (I think.. him) a variety of bloodworms, small fishing pellets and small earth worms collected from my allotment.

I will eventually be looking to breed in a couple of years or so.

Am I rights in saying he is a Axanthic Albino? He is all white/very pale pink tink. with whitey-pink gills and shiny pink sort of eyes.

Cheers,

Jordan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back