Question: Tank heating up!

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had my axos since babies they are 5m old now and have been in a small tank for a few month with no problem. Since they got a bit bigger I put in more water.

Theyv been fine with the filter I have for a few months but tonight I've noticed the water is, a tad warmer than room temp. Usually its colder side of room temp.

Can I get something to cool the water ?

xxxxx

Do you know the exact temp? Axolotl's prefer 16-18 degrees celcious, although can go up to around 20 so long as it doesn't fluctuate wildly.

As for keeping it cool people usually use a desk fan blowing on the surface of the tank or rotate bottles of frozen water to lower the temp a little bit. Hope that helps!

I use icepacks or bottles of frozen water (or both) to cool the tank a bit. 1 hour later the ice is gone and I can get some new ones. I also use a clip-on fan. But I want to build a computer-fan construction thing to cool my tanks but I'm too scared I'm gonna die when I plug it in and get shocked or that I might blow up my room.
So if anyone has a easy Dummies-like tutorial, you're awesome.

Have you checked your filter is working ok? Internal filters do heat the water a tad especially of they are gunged up on the inside. Don't go over board cleaning it but do have a quick look to make sure things are flowing freely or the motor in it will be working overtime and getting hotter.

what sort of filter do you have? I have an external cannister and before I bought my chiller I had my chiller sitting in a large bucket and filled it with a bag of ice (making sure my electrical cables were tied up out of the way) and i would just siphon off melted water and top with ice. I put aluminum foil around the top and this worked great...until our 45 degree heatwave that lasted 3 weeks :( wasn't too much bother,10 mins a day and it certainly worked lowering temp by 4-5 degrees

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back