Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White scaley looking stuff on my axolotl.

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
My Axolotl that was purchased about a week ago has spots on the back of its tail. I'm not sure of its a fungus or something I shouldn't worry about. The people at the pet store seemed very knowledgeble but never said anything about it. They are white and look like fish scales. Should I worry?

along with this I have a few more questions. The axolotls at the pet store use to swim then just stay perfectly still and then swim a little bit and then do it again but it doesn't do that in our tank. He just walks around his bowl. Why is that? Also it is about 2.5 -3 inches. How much bloodworms should I be feeding him?

I am being gender specific her but I have no idea if its a male or female. Just hoping its a male.

Attachments

• 20130809_164156.jpg
    20130809_164156.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 761

Tephra

Reaction score
It's too young to say if it's male or female... Here's a hint: pick either a name that's gender-neutral, or something you can change into a male or female form (like Edwin <-> Edwina, bad example lol)

And those spots are a part of its coloring: they're iridophores. They reflect light. You should try looking at them from different angles, it's fun and pretty :D

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
Thank you so much! And about him pretty much not swimming in the tank why could that be? Is it because he is still getting use to the tank or something else? I'm just worried about my little buddy want to make sure he is all good and fine

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you maybe add some more photo's of this please?
Are the lumps raised ?
His walking about the tank sounds perfectly normal :D
Offer blood worms once a day, and do make sure you clean up well any uneaten worms..any left for too long will decay in the tank. May be try offering small earthworm? These are much better for a growing axolotl :D

Tephra

Reaction score
Yes, earthworms are the best. They'll grow faster too, and be very healthy. Plus they enjoy the hunt.

OMG... It's moving... *inches closer* ..still moving... *SNAP* MMMMM *chomp chomp*

Hehe. Earthworms also don't require clean up afterwards. Blood worms do.

Oh, and when it's not swimming around, just kind of walking around or just sitting there... that's a good thing. That means it's relaxed and feels good in the tank. Too much swimming around can sometimes indicate stress.

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
Well we fed him a earth worm and he loved it! Even though my girlfriend was worried he was gonna choke.

But I have a follow up on his tail fin I got more picture. But the spots don't seem to glisten in the light they just seem like paint splats.

and I will add picture, however I do that.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Is this a golden albino? I see this often more in golden albinos then any other color morph. I think it may have something to do with the iridophores though most times they do not look shiney. Ill try to find a picture and you can tell me if this is exactly what it looks like.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376250362.076298.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376250371.552319.jpg
I do not own these pictures i just quickly got them off google. Is this what it looks like? If so its is caused by the iridophores that golden albinos have. Its quite odd i must say!

Here is some old pictures of my wild type who showed some signs of the same thing, though not so noticible since she is a wild. My boyfriend thought it was fungus or something and it took a while to explain to him this is just how she looks. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376250634.109089.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376250641.799879.jpg

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the little axolotl's tail is just fine :) I am glad it enjoyed its worm :)

Alkylhalide, I think we need a post dedicated to your amazing 'wild' type please :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Ahahah thank you :) i think so too. I entered a couple pictures of her in the 2014 axolotl calendar! It was hard to chose pictures that were the right size and format and such. And i have so many! Over 700pictures of axolotls on my computer :s

Texas is definately a beauty. <3

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
Thank you everyone that responded and helped! Your all really helpful and im sure you'll all help me again at some point in the future!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!