Axolotl with bruises

elfae

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
A day ago my axolotl Spartacus jumped out of the tank, I wasn't there when it happened but my family saw it and directly put him back in.
When I look at his tail he has scratches, gaps out of his tail and the colors around the gaps are reddish.
Do I have to take him to a vet? Or do I have to give him a special bath?
Note that he doesn't seem very stressed anymore, he was only stressed the night he had jumped out, now he seems to behave normal but he only looks horrible..

Keep him cool and clean and keep an eye out for fungal infections. But it'll probably heal pretty fast.

Axolotls recover very well, I wouldn't worry too much. I currently have 3 axies with a chunk bitten out of their tails, one with a scratched forehead, and all of them have lost a few gill fronds at some point - axolotls have an amazing capacity to regrow lost limbs, fingers, toes or gills and missing pieces of tail or fin.
If he looks red and sore you could try a tea bath or add tea to his tank, almond leaves also work the same way.
If he looks like he has fungus - cotton wool type growth - give him a salt bath.
If the scratches get infected - swollen, red and possibly leaking yellow pus - you can try a broad spectrum antiobiotic from your vet.

thanks a lot! I'll give poor Spartacus a tea bath, since he does have red, sore spots. Let's hope he recovers nice&quick ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back