Coldwater fish for food

Howie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

can anyone advise if you can use any cold water fish for axie food?

I know you can use guppies but aren't they tropical? how long can they survive in the axie tank if they don't get eaten?

many thanks

i ve tried to feed guppy to my axolotl... and they ate it:) i am raising some guppy to feed my axolotl next winter when the worms gonna be harder to find

but they are tropical aren't they? I don't think the wife would let me set up yet another tank! lol

yes i think they are... but my fry tank is set up with no heater. just room temperature. they adapt well.

i have a heater in my breeding tank to have more breeding.

so when i put the fish from my fry tank to my axololt tank... the temperature difference is not that big.

they adapt well to the axolotl tank but they dont live long with the axolotl...

that's great, thanks, want to but some tonight, the will need to be put into quarantine though or just throw them straight in?

We have just set up a guppy breeding tank for axie food. You shouldn't feed fish from a pet shop straight to your axies - you never know what they might be carrying, and any live food should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks if not longer anyway.

Guppies are tropical, but for the day or so they will be at room temperature in with the axies they will be fine. If in doubt acclimatise them in a tub or bag the same way as adding fish to any aquarium.

But if you are looking for cheap live food river shrimp are great - most of the commercially available ones are bred away from fish and therefore don't usually carry the same risk as fish.

I get guppies from a family member who breeds certain colours, the ones he doesn want to breed get given to my axies and in my experiance the guppies are in the axie tank long enough to worry about the temp! When my axies were fridged during the heatwave the remaining three guppies seemed fine in the tank and seemed quite happy although the tank was at and above 24 degrees C for many days!

If you wanted to breed the guppies you would need a seprerate tank but it probs wouldnt need to be tropical.

thanks guys, I take it goldfish are no good then?

No, goldfish are members of the carp family and are not suitable.

White mountain cloud minnow, are good. But you will need to quarantine them for a good month first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back