Tail damaged

Jcay727

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I noticed late last night that my Axolotl has a small nick/tear in this tail. He's about 4 inches long, and the tear is about 4mm on the underside of the tail fin.

I understand It will heal and grow back, was wondering if there is anything in my set up I need to change or look out for.

The axolotl is the only inhabitant of the tank.

I have a sand base, with two plastic plants and a cave type ornament.

There is a thermometer and a filter, with a guard over the intake pipe, and is set very low with the valve near enough closed to avoid any gill related injury.

I'm guessing he's been swimming about in the dark and caught it on the cave, although there aren't really any sharp edges.

Anyone got an explanation?

Is there any thing I can do to speed up recovery?

Thanks,

Jordan

Axies seem to be able to injure themselves on silk plants, sand, smooth plastic and anythig else not dangerous' you can to put in your tank. One of mine got her head stuck in a tunnel she used to be able to fit into, grazed her forehead, recovered completely in a week. And I had to but a new bigger tunnel.

But they recover, so if you're satisfied you've checkd for sharp edges and obvious hazards don't worry about it.

Auntiejude's right. The amount of times mine have swam into tank edges...hides..the sides of my filter...>.<
Nicks and tears are fairly common and could have been caused simply by grazing the tail sharply against a hide or similar - if they're moving fast enough basically anything can cause damage. They will heal very quickly, though.
If you want to be safe you can try a tea bath but this is generally for wounds rather than nicks or tears. It will simply ensure that the axolotl doesn't develop any fungus - it's more a sort of 'insurance,' but seeing as it's not an open wound I wouldn't say it's essential. You can find information on tea baths in the Caudata Culture articles if you need it :)

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Will keep an eye on it.

Would probably have been one of the plants as it likes to sit in them and sort of float on the top of them near the surface. The cave is rough, but not sharp, just your bog standard tank ornament.

Thanks! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back