HOB or canister?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked I am having trouble using the search engine. What filter works best for axolotls? Sponge isn't an option with my 40 long so I am looking for the best filter for them. Also if you could post links and reasons you chose what you did that would be awesome. I only want the best for my Bubs.

i think its generally down to personal preference, i just got an own brand internal filter from my local fish store and that works fine for me.
I dont understand those external ones, and for me internal was better than sponge as it does chemical filtration too :)
IT cost me around £20 per filter and the replacements are £7 each, so its not too expensive either!
Im sure anyone who answers this will have different opinions haha, so just go with what you think will work best for you and your circumstances :D
this is mine
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/product/aquamanta-internal-filter-ifx-50

I don't really have a preference on the two I like sponges but they would just take up too much room and they dont actually clean much debris and axolotls are messy :)

So Its down to a HOB or Canister ... I like the aquaclear 70 for a HOB but I have zero experience with canisters.

Haha like i say i dont understand either so i just went with an internal one, it sits in the corner of my tank and keeps it clean lol :D

I have lots of experience with HOBS but I have heard lots of good things about Canisters too * sigh*

I have had a lot of experience with both types and I prefer canisters.

Most HOB's I've seen lately make you use their brand of prepackaged disposable filter pads/floss. It seems redundant to throw away filter media once it's established with good bio-bugs simply because they make the filter pads impossible to rinse. They clog too quickly for my tastes, plus they are expensive to constantly replace. There are a few HOB's that are good quality though, at least that I've dealt with. Aquaclears and HOT Magnums w/ the Bio-wheel are nice filters that hold a good amount of filter media that can easily be rinsed if need be. The aquaclear also has a flow adjuster, so the current can be controlled and slowed. Both filters are almost like mini-canisters that hang on the tank.

Canisters tend to hold more media and are often customizable as far as media type(floss, foam, ceramic rings, etc...). And due to their larger size, the don't require cleaning as often. Some are a pain to clean, hard to prime, and can take up more space often because they are designed for larger tanks.

I guess it all comes down to situation and preference. Smaller aquariums would work best with HOB's and the same can be said for larger tanks and canisters, but everyone is different :)

Personally, I use ZooMed Turtle canister filters(small with a spray bar) as well as sponge filters on my 40 gallon.

I was thinking Aquaclear or the turtle clean ... But I would be using my own media ... I don't bother cleaning filters and I NEVER bother with that prepackaged filter crud.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back