What Plant is this?? Can I Put It In My Axolotl Tank?

mikeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Michael
Hey everyone!

okay so up north where my cottage is ( Tiny Town Ship ) there is this "moss" looking plant so i pulled some out of the water. By the way the water in Tiny Beaches is super clean and clear you can see your toes no matter how deep you get the water come straight from the arctic

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? Is it moss? Is it safe to put it in my axolotl tank after i cure it ( Bleach cure ).

Attachments

• IMG_00002091.jpg
    IMG_00002091.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_00002092.jpg
    IMG_00002092.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_00002093.jpg
    IMG_00002093.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 575
Did it come out of salt or fresh water? (Beaches makes me think salt)

It's generally not advised to put things from nature in with your axolotls... But if you decide to go through with it it'd quarantine for a month first.

It seems to me to be some species of Chara, or at least in the order Charales. These aren´t mosses, but rather the sister group of the one containing mosses and all the other land plants. If i remember correctly most if not all require very hard water.

Quentari They came from a fresh water beach. I was planning on bleach cure ( already done encase i want to keep it ) then quarantine them but only for half the time.

Azhael, Yes i agree the images on google look almost exact. Seems to be Muskgrass,Chara. is this plant safe to put into fish tanks? It says it has a musky odor, but i did the bleach cure yesterday and now it has no smell to it. Also says it has calcium deposit on the plant... how much do you think it will increase the calcium in tank water? enough to cause a problem?

This is the website i found on the plant (algae as i just found out)
Chara (Muskgrass) Control and Management › Aquatic Biologists

I want to reattempt the Moss Tree but with this plant if possible the moss always died on me after a few months.

Attachments

• moss tree.jpg
    moss tree.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 14,925
Wow, that picture is just beautiful xD I´m going to have flashes of it in my dreams.

Chara will not allow you to do anything like that, though.
I can´t think of any reason why it shouldn´t be suitable for an axolotl tank other than the likelihood of it being ripped to pieces. I know it grows in waters occupied by other species...

I know isn't it! its my dream tank, i want to add a few axolotls and flood it with a bunch of colorful feeder guppies as food. Why wont the Chara allow me to do anything like that? will it at least stick to drift wood? What plants do you suggest that would be best for it other than moss because i have no luck with the moss.

I am doing something similar to this using x-mas moss and driftwood. It is not near as nice as this though.

I am doing something similar to this using x-mas moss and driftwood. It is not near as nice as this though.

Hows the Xmas moss working out? what type of lighting do you have in the tank?

So far so good on the x-mas moss and the light is just the hood light, and I have good hides for my Aztec I just ordered some from a lady in the UK that makes them by hand and she has some awesome caves and hides, I can't wait til mine get here
but back to the x-mas moss it grows but slow, I used hair nets to put it on the drift wood.

Attachments

• 9_zpsfa6026dc.jpg
    9_zpsfa6026dc.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 358
  • 5_zpsf2521b5a.jpg
    5_zpsf2521b5a.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 266
  • cvs.JPG
    cvs.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 666
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back