Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Clog - SLIME!

Jcay727

Reaction score
Hello, Me again!

So last night I came downstairs and noticed my filter was running unusually slow, even though i'd turned it up slightly a few hours previous.

It took the top cover off and the water level was brimming almost over flowing out onto the worktop.

I took out the filter its self and it was covered in a thick slime like gloop.

Although the water looks pretty clean it's clogged my filter which is about 5 days old.

I've got a large pet keeper style tank (probably around 3-5 gal) and a hang on type filter housing 1 4inch long axolotl.

I've left the filter in hot water over night so hopefully should clear as there should be plenty of life left in it.

Does anyone know what this could be? how best to clean it? and how to prevent it? and why it accumulated so quickly?

Thanks

J

layna

Reaction score
I believe your just supposed to clean filters in a bucket of tank water, so you dont kill your cycled 'good bacteria' :eek: Just rub it and swish it about haha.
Also i think the slime is just general tank waste.

Jcay727

Reaction score
After reading about it I realise tank water is best to rinse filters, this stuff is stubborn, I rinsed it, replaced it thinking it was clean, but still clogged stopping water pass through. So I left it to soak.

I just don't understand how it's accumulated to fast. The filter was nearly spilling over onto the bench. Yet it was running ok a few hours before when I had turned it up slightly.

I had changed about 20% of the water about 2 days after the filter was running anyhow, and has been running maybe 3 or 4 days at the most since.

I'll do another water change when I get in from work, as currently the filter isn't running. I'll see what I can do and post my results tomorrow :)

thanks

auntiejude

Reaction score
Are you using a water conditioner with aloe vera? If so try switching to a to a plain one - aloe can leave a slimy coating on ornaments, so it may clog filter too.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Hello, Me again!

So last night I came downstairs and noticed my filter was running unusually slow, even though i'd turned it up slightly a few hours previous.

It took the top cover off and the water level was brimming almost over flowing out onto the worktop.

I took out the filter its self and it was covered in a thick slime like gloop.

Although the water looks pretty clean it's clogged my filter which is about 5 days old.

I've got a large pet keeper style tank (probably around 3-5 gal) and a hang on type filter housing 1 4inch long axolotl.

I've left the filter in hot water over night so hopefully should clear as there should be plenty of life left in it.

Does anyone know what this could be? how best to clean it? and how to prevent it? and why it accumulated so quickly?

Thanks

J

A big issue I see here is that you are keeping your axie in 3-5 gallons?? The bare minimum is recommended at 10 gallons fyi.

Jcay727

Reaction score
He is still only young, around 4 inches in length. There's plenty of room for him in there at the moment and I plan on investing in a larger tank soon.

I haven't used any water conditioner at the moment, waiting for test kits etc to arrive from the web.

He's been in the tank no more than a week, with the filter turned off and dismantled today the "slime" has formed a cloudy layer or the surface.

Going to do a water change now, will do a little more than 20% to try and clear what ever it is out. The filter has been soaking over night, what ever was in it was gloopy and clumped together in the dish. It seems clean now, as I said, will do a water change now and fire the filter back up and see what happens.

Jcay727

Reaction score
So, I've completed a water change about 4 - 50% to try and get rid of any nasty gunk!

Water seems a bit clearer, filter is still running very slow, I have it set as low as I feel comfortable, so the chamber is not brimming, but allows some space for any build up. Also with a jug beneath it to catch any leaks. Wedged it forward a bit too with the use of one of my partners business cards! Sssshh! Is a bit better, but if I open the valve to increase the flow the chamber fills up but the rate the water passes through the filter itself is the same. Eventually over spills where the intake pipe is so some water doesnt get filtered.

any ideas guys? :/

I'll keep an eye on it tonight, maybe turn the filter off tonight to stop clogging it and restart in the morning. I'll post updates as and when.

thanks for the help so far.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Dechlorinator is important because it removes chlorine and chloramine which is toxic to axolotls. If you don't have any I suggest you get some asap.

My filter gets clogged up very quickly, but it's a sign it's doing it's job properly. If you turn the filter off and remove it from the tank water you will lose your cycle. All the good bacteria which get rid of ammonia and nitrite will die and the toxins will build up on your tank. So taking it out of the tank means that you might have a lot of ammonia etc in there. While the tank is cycling it's important to do water changes every day to stop your axolotl from getting poisoned. I took about 20% each day to dilute the toxins when I first set mine up.

It's important to clean the filter out in dirty tank water to keep the bacteria alive. Just take it apart and give the components a good wash in a bucket. - It should only take a few minutes every week. You also may have to change the sponge from time to time.
If you keep on top of the cleaning it won't be too bad. Clean the filter once a week and remove any poop you see in the tank immediately. Turkey basters or siphons are very good at quick poop removal. :p

A bigger tank will be needed soon as axolotls do grow quite quickly. If you get the biggest tank you can afford with a decent filter then it should be less clogged.

If you're not familiar with tank cycling this article is really good. Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Good luck :happy:

Last edited:

Jcay727

Reaction score
I'm sure I read some where the water in my area is ok (use that word loosely) for axolotls. Will double check and get the required conditioner.

I will keep on top of water changes, will do another tonight although the filter is still set fairly low the water looks better. Will further dilute the nasties tonight.

I'm looking at getting a larger tank at the end of the month, depending on prices/location and my budget as wages have changed dramatically this month!

Had removed a couple of hidden poops from under his hide last night.

If anyone knows of a good sized/cheap tank for sale let me know (bearing in mind that I don't drive at the moment) I'm keeping my eyes on ebay gumtree and preloved etc.

Thanks guys!

Jcay727

Reaction score
Have found a tank fairly local. It's 60 litres, Google converted to about 13 gal.

Is this a suitable size or should I look for something bigger? and is it a good price at £30?

I eventually would like to house 2 maybe 3 Axolotl's

J

auntiejude

Reaction score
It doesn't matter where you live, in the UK chloramines are added to ALL drinking water - that means your mains tap water is full of toxic chlorine products and needs to be made safe. You're probably confusing chlorine with hardness - axolotls prefer hard water (which is what you have). Get some dechlorinator NOW!

A 60L tank would be OK for 2 axies, but you'll need a proper stand as it will be heavy (approx 70-80kg when filled). And rememeber that US gallons are not the same as UK gallons - it's easier here to work in L then you can't get it wrong.

Jcay727

Reaction score
That sounds about right, will of been hardness. Will get it sorted. :)

It was 60 litres, or about 13 imperial gal. (not us gal)

I've also been offered one for £15 which measures 40cm x 20cm x 22cm (unsure of the amount of water it will hold.) Any idea? again, is it suitable? (I imagine only big enough for 1 axolotl?)

thank you :)

Jcay727

Reaction score
I google'd the volume of that tank, wayy too small.. but may come in handy for brine shrimp or something similar in future.. will think about it.

I've done another water change tonight, and rinsed the filter in the excess water. The water seems to be clearing nicely now. Axel ate 3 earth worms after. Decided to give up on the pellet food and keep him on earthworms, pellets seem to make more mess than anything else. They don't move so unless I drop them in front of him they get ignored Good thing I have an unlimited supply of worms from the allotment.

The filter still cant be turned up very high (not that I want it too high) I guess that's just how its meant to be if the filters a bit clogged. Will keep up with the rinsing and water changes.

Thanks for the help, If i encounter the problem again or anything changes I'll post an update

seems to be solved though :D

auntiejude

Reaction score
You want a tank at least 3 ft long and 1.5-2 ft deep for a fully grown axie. (thats 1m long, and 50cm deep) The bigger the better - your best bet would be to save for a decent large tank.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I got my 3ft tank from gum tree for £70 including the stand which was a really good deal. Keep an eye on it and some good bargains to appear. Some people also may deliver with a small fee for the petrol.

The bigger the tank you can get the better as it saves you upgrading later. I got a small tank around 60L for my axie and soon decided it wasn't going to be big enough when he started growing. The small one is now full of fish and my axie loves his 3ft long to walk around. I'd love to even upgrade that to a 5 or 6ft one day so he has lots of space. :happy:

Jcay727

Reaction score
I've found a two 3 ft tanks with stand on ebay with in a few miles. Cheaper than the 60L on gumtree.

Fingers crossed they stay cheap! 2 days to go!

There's also a 4 ft tank a little further away, but that's a bit out of budget. I love a tank 4 - 6 ft long tank, would be awesome!

I was considering as a temporary measure using a large clear plastic storage box with the usual sand, hides, plants filter etc. Would this be a good idea, or are they too weak to hold the weight of the water? I'd try and get a shallow-ish one so the sides don't bow with the weight of the water and give plenty of surface are for wandering about. I don't see any problem with doing this, other than possible chemicals in the plastic getting into the water? Would be kept probably on top of the fridge for now until a tank and stand is purchased :)

again, your knowledge and advices is greatly appreciated! :D

pookiewn

Reaction score
I've found underbed boxes are great temporary axie homes, John Lewis do food safe ones for about £6. The food safe means it won't leach any nasty toxins into the water. this will give you plenty of time to find your perfect bargain tank :)

Make sure that the fridge doesn't heat up the water, but sounds like a good plan!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds like a good stop-gap plan, but I wouldn't put a heavy, water-filled axie tub on top of a fridge, and I wouldn't bother with sand. Keep it at a lower level (floor or on a low table) but remember 1L water weighs 1kg so it gets heavy fast - put it in place before you fill it up.

layna

Reaction score
Hi, another great place for tanks is...facebook!
Haha they have a lot of groups "cheap tanks in north east/west/south" ect i got both of mine 3 foot each, for £10 each.
The second one i paid the lady £5 for petrol and she dropped it off at my front door :)
just give it a good scrub and voila cheap big tank for axies!

I also look on preloved but theyre a little more expensive than the facebook ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1