Question: Do Axolotl Females go through the menstrual cycle?

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So I did an all nighter playing computer games and at 8 am the next morning, I was looking at my axolotls - two females - and one of them was secreting a brownish liquid.

This wasn't poo. I'm quite sure. Their poo's are always left in a pile, but this one was sort of dissipating all over the tank and was a sort of "oily" substance on the bottom.

I'm only feeding them worms and about 6-7 of them a day - small worms. My axies are growing and they've had no problems at all since I got them - bar the tank breaking; twice.

So, could this be blood? Is Whooper on her period? I know that males have spermopheres whereas females lay eggs, but do they also secrete blood like on the human and most animal menstrual cycles?

Female axolotls carry their eggs at all times until they pick up a spermatophore; in that case they will lay them after fertilization and take some time to make more eggs after the laying.

They don't have their periods. Periods are related to mammals, not amphibians. Sometimes though, they can have some trouble digesting something, or something digested too fast, or something along those lines... and their poop can vary. Usually it's quite hard and in a little turd shape, but sometimes it can be more... loose. Depends on what they ate as well.

As Tephra has touched on, menstruation is exclusive to mammals, specifically, placental mammals. Without a uterus and a placenta, there can be no period.
Your animal was most likely discharging some left-over feces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back