Is GBP 35.00 to much for a albino 10-12" axie in the UK?

Howie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just been in the pet shop and that's what he wanted, it a really big and fat albino one.

I want it but not sure if it's too dear

thank you

Hello!

I would say £35 if healthy and grown, is a good price.

I have juveniles and am selling £30 for a pair about 3" long. My local pet store had a golden albino up for £79 which is extortionate! If you want it, buy it just make sure you save the pennies and get a nice used tank from.....preloved.co.uk!!

hope you enjoy becoming an axolotl parent!

I think that's a good price for an adult, especially from a pet shop. Private sellers may sell them for less, but finding them that size for sale is quite rare around here.

If it looks healthy and happy I'd go for it :)

thanks guys, i'm pretty excited about it.

Would it be ok to go in with my 2 other axis (wild type - the drak ones) they are about 7-8 inches head to tail.

I have a 3 ft tank

thank you

My LFS sells for £20 each at 3-4 inches - I'd say it's a reasonable price.
I would be willing to pay a little more for a larger axie where I know whether I'm getting a girl or a boy!

thanks, can I put it with my smaller axis (as above tho) thanks

It depends on the size difference between the new addition and the old :) If there is an inch or so difference then I would say yes, but make sure you do a good month quarantine for the new addition first. Even healthy looking animals are capable of passing on nasties.

Interesting how the prices vary, where I got my axies they cost £17.95 each and were a couple of months off being fully grown although they more often sell juvies. Another garden center i've seen sells axies for £20 each.

wow! Thats really expensive although im not sure of general cost of living in UK. Thats nearly $60 AUD...we usually pay around $20_$30 here for Axies which is $14 GBP.

A lot depends on things further up the chain. Find a store that's bought them small and grown them on (due to slow sales) and quite often you can find a bargain, if they've bought them in large then they'll have paid a lot more for them.

hi guys, thanks for the advice.

I bought him for GBP 30.00, (don't see many albino ones around here, always wanted one so to haggle over another ten pound wasn't worth it) he's not as big as I 1st thought, he about 8" but fat! I put him in with my other 2 already, didn't know about the quarantine, they seem ok, may take a while to get used to each other, the other 2 were best mates!

Even from a pet shop thats expensive to me, all the ones round my area are around £20 for an adult, however i looked on preloved and you can get them off there for around £10.
I found my little lottles when they were around 4" for £4 each on preloved and they guy was a real enthusiast who put a lot of time and care into them :)

Hi Layna,

it was a bit dearer but they don't seem to appear much around here, at that size and colour, so for the sake of an extra tenner I bought her, would regret not buying her more than spending a bit more.

need to give her a name now!

How about Ivory (since Ivory is another name for White Gold, and she was worth it!) Hehe, or maybe Loreal! ('Because she's worth it!') Hehe!

£35 for a 10"-12" adult is not an unreasonable retail price, I have paid £60-£70 for sexed adult pairs privately and its cost me up to £60 to go and collect them. An axolotl of that size is probably at least 18 months old, the cost of raising it to that size excluding labour leaves very little profit, it is probably a pet returned to the shop.

£35 for a 10"-12" adult is not an unreasonable retail price, I have paid £60-£70 for sexed adult pairs privately and its cost me up to £60 to go and collect them. An axolotl of that size is probably at least 18 months old, the cost of raising it to that size excluding labour leaves very little profit, it is probably a pet returned to the shop.

I bought mine for 20 each 1 is albino the other is leucistic they were about 8- 10inches when I got them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back