Cannibalism

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a while.
I had a lot of 100 axolotl juvies just a month or two ago. I now have 30 of them left because they keep eating eachother [they are approx. 1.5"]
How can I prevent this? I have them in favorable conditions, separated into groups of 2-3 in shoeboxes filled with plants. Water change every other day, 70 F temps, fed brine shrimp/daphnia daily etc.
Cheers, Austin

I wonder if they need to move up to the next size food? Have you tried them on blackworm yet?

If they're trying to eat each other I'd say they were hungry! Try more or larger food, or if you only have 30 left separate them into their own tubs.
(Translation amusement - in the UK shoe boxes are made of cardboard :lol: so I'm assuming you mean the 12-14" plastic storgae boxes!)

I could attempt to seperate them individually, maybe I have enough tubs. Hahaha, yes they are made of plastic. They get fed plenty, I can't imagine how they could still be hungry. The next thing I have up from frozen brine shrimp is worms and they are too small to take even chopped worms.

I can't remember if you said how old they were, but mine are 2 and a half weeks old and are already taking frozen brine shrimp (when I feed them individually using tweezers) and finely chopped bloodworm. But if you have plent of daphnia and brine shrimp in with them you should not be having a problem. I have 6 in one tupperware or "shoebox" hehe ;) and have had no cannabals, yet...

The next thing I have up from frozen brine shrimp is worms and they are too small to take even chopped worms.

Have you tried frozen bloodworm? At that size they should be able to eat them no problem. They're messy of course, but not as bad as brine shrimp.

Hi, i have my babies separated in individual tubs. I just went to my local $2 Asian shop and bought the take away containers like you get large fried rice in. I got 15 in a pack for$3. then i used a hot skewer to poke holes in the lid for air before putting them in. When it was hot the other day i put them all in the containers into the bathtub and put some water and ice in and they were super happy. I would put them onto bloodworm because if they are large enough to eat eachother they can handle bigger food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back