Urgent!! Dropped axolotl lost!!

Quentari

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Quentari
Was doing water change for my axies and I dropped little hunter. He went behind a cabinet and now I can't find him how long can they live out of water is he likely to have walked while I was pulling everything out of the way to get him holy **** I'm panicking so bad I have no idea where he went

Update: still no luck. Pulled room apart and haven't found him. He's probably dead but he must have walked a bit, there's no way for him to disappear like that.

Update: found him! One hour and fifteen minutes later he was found in the bottom of a box of miscellaneous items. Still alive, seems unharmed. Giving him some tea when it cools down and keeping him somewhere nice and cool and dark.

Also changing my method for changing his water.

Answer - they can probably survive an hour or so out of water.

But you already found that out - hope he's OK!

OMG! You must have been frantic, glad you've found him, hope he recovers quickly without too much trouble :happy:

I was panicking so bad! He seems okay, back is a little arched and he's got some fluff stuck to him (might be his slime coat coming off... Hard to tell)

Ill keep people updated. He's not likely to try and morph is he? D:

He was quick wow, well I guess they do have legs designed for land....poor thing hopes he gets better ��

Tea in there. He hasn't eaten yet but I don't think he's injured, swimming around a little but :) think its mostly shock!

Gally lost some of his slime coat when he fell out of a tub once on me...but he was fine with cool clean water, and the tea will do it for Hunter :)

Poor baby is probably just in shock right now, so glad you found him! :)

PS At first I was thinking, 'leave some food out and he'll come back on his own.' Then I remembered that really only works on rodents >.<

Gally lost some of his slime coat when he fell out of a tub once on me...but he was fine with cool clean water, and the tea will do it for Hunter :)

Poor baby is probably just in shock right now, so glad you found him! :)

PS At first I was thinking, 'leave some food out and he'll come back on his own.' Then I remembered that really only works on rodents >.<

:rofl: yeah I actually did worry for a little bit that this small baby would wriggle out from under somewhere and scare the living daylights out of me!

He's eating now at least, he's never been a big eater but I'm going to go buy him some worms as a special treat, usually my axies just get pellets and the occasional cricket once they are big enough. He's acting much more like himself today, even swimming around his tub a little bit!! :D

Happy to hear it! Thank goodness for their healing abilties :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back