Moving house, need help on axoltl.

BH1992

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, soon I'm moving house. I have a 160 litre tank for my axolotl. I need some advice please. First of all, what is the
Best thing to put my axi in for the move so I don't stress him out? I'm literally moving 10 minutes away so he won't be in there for long. Also do I need to keep some
Of the water he was in in his tank? Or can I use new water? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

A large tub wrapped in a towel or inside a cool bag to keep him dark would be good.

And yes, the more tank water you can save the better (at least 50% if you can). And you need to keep your filter medium in tank water for the transfer too. (Otherwise you'll have to start your cycle all over again.) Keep an eye on your water quality daily for the first week to ensure your cycle hasn't crashed.

Try asking a fish shop for some of their fish bags- some will give them, some charge a few pence each. They're pretty handy for transporting stuff like filter media and plants in, and 'lotls, if they're small enough.

Good luck! I'm having to move mine (plus a tropical fish tank) in a few weeks too...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back